virus: Origins of weddings?

From: Steve Parrott (luxvivens@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 21:14:08 MST

Since we have been discussing the importance of love, I will pose a question
of which I have pondered at times.

Is there any basis for the institution of marriage other than religious
dogma? I myself do not know of any. Since the majority of this list regard
religion(s) as nothing more than controlling brainwashing, (as do I), then
where does marriage fall into all of this? If, in a perfect world, we had
the power to eradicate all religions, should marriage also be elimanated
from modern society.

Just food for thought. How would the structure of society change without
any marrige? Better,... worse,.... no change since most marriages fail now
a days anyway?

Steve