virus: Humans and abstract thought.

From: Xipirho (xipirho@runbox.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 07:09:16 MST

What exactly do the scientists researching those "ocherised" rocks mean by
"abstract"? From what I saw, the engravings looked like they could have
simply been done in the attempt at pattern forming, a behavior that is
inherant in human neurology. Surely one line could have been engraved
randomly, and then others done to copy the first. Next the lines could have
just been "drawn" around simply to join them up.
    Perhaps it was a grater or file, but I have to say the "teeth" of the
grater would be rather large and flat and would have been more likely to
squash anything they were used on! Some will say that it could have been
trance induced imagery, but to me it just looks like joined up lines! Very
young children, without training or trances make patterns and doodles of a
similar ilk, I would have thought that visual (and to a lesser extent aural)
patterns are intrinsic to humanity and probably the earlier hominids, so
therefore it probably isn't that significant a discovery.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo. Roly/Orly/Vinyacálë.