virus: SAME TOPIC - I WILL NOT BE QUIET

From: Xipirho (xipirho@runbox.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 06:58:44 MST

Steele Kirk said:

Did you completely fail ALL of your English classes last year. We discuss,
or at least centre around memetics.

Focus!
PAY ATTENTION!
or just sit in the corner and remain silent!

You are evidencing clear and present reason why there is such a saying as:
"Youth should be seen, not heard"

I Reply:

    No, I certainly didn't "fail" (you can't "fail" classes in the UK) all
of my English classes last year, in fact I got level 8 in English at the Key
Stage 3 exam (the best grade beside "exceptional"). By the way, when using
English, it's generally accepted that a question mark (?) is used as the
mark of punctuation at the end of a question, even in an rhetorical one such
as yours.
    This is a forum for rational discourse about science, not just memetics,
(backed up by the CoV's own blerb on the mailing list page: "Virus is a
collection of mutually-supporting ideas (a meme-complex) encompassing
philosophy, science, technology, politics, and religion.") and anyway, I am
sure that if ancient civilizations in areas previously thought not to
contain them, and dating back further than previously known were discovered
that could lead to some interesting theories about the development of human
culture, and therefore memetics. Genetics are oft discussed upon the list,
as are memetics, so I think that both the biological and cultural aspects of
this topic are clearly of interest.
    Ultimately the CoV cannot purely concern itself with abstract memetics
if it is to become a popular set of principles, so discussion of other,
scienticic topics is clearly essential.
    I greatly object to your use of my age and status as a minor to
undermine my arguments. You try to write me off as a foolish "youth", which
is certainly not the case. I hope that other, more open minded, less
prejudiced members of this forum will not be swayed by your more ridiculous
arguments.
    As I have stated so many times before, I object greaty to personal
attacks, and I have tried to refrain from attacking you in a similar manner.
This post is no exception. I would be much more open to your ideas and
opinions if you too refrained from these insults.

Thank you for reading my response; I hope you you take time to consider it
before responding.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo (A star shines upon our meeting).
Roly/Orly/Vinyacálë.