RE: virus: Martial arts and accompanying philosophy Ping Dylan Su nter.

From: Dylan Sunter (dylan.sunter@fisystem.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 03:51:59 MST

yes, I do know of Ryukyu Kobujutsu, which is basically okinawan weapons
technique (as opposed to "open hand" Karate)

I have never studied it, although i have had a good few years experience
with Weaponry (mainly Japanese swords such as Wakusashi and Katana, Sai's,
Staves, Knives and "streetweapons" such as glass bottles and knuckledusters)
this has been mainly from a defence point of view (ie learning to defend and
disarm multiple armed attackers whilst you are unarmed) and I am no Shihan
with Weapons, but It does add an exciting dimension to training.

It does look interesting, but be aware that Kobujutsu mainly focuses on the
Weapons Kata's, so it depends really on what you want to do.

If you want the chance to beat your mates up with swords for a laugh, i
would recommend buying a couple of Shinai swords and just walloping each
other on the lawn with them (causes pain but little damage). If you want to
get into defence from weapons, I would recommend one of the "jitsu's" -
juJitsu (violent, extremely effective) Aikido (passive, less effective but
still useful) or Tai Jitsu (hmmm....)

If its just weapons skills you want, then I think Kobujutsu may be for you,
but I would not recommend it to a beginner. I would think it would
complement a good working understanding of a grappling art quite well
though.