Subject: RE: virus: On the failure of 'Pascal's Wager' and the non-existence of

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 13:18:01 MST

<Warning - unsupported assertions snipped>

[David Hill 1.1*] I accept the claim that I made solipsist assertions. And
I regret a recent kneejerk post of mine, but I have to type fast during my
available babble time.

[David Hill 1] But on entry to this list, I found mostly the same
distasteful venomous attacks (Hermitlike) and people diving out of the
church because of the nastiness.

[Hermit 1] Very few "Hermitlike" attacks occur here. Those here that care
enough to devote the time and effort needed to "attack" unreason all have
their own techniques and styles. So the attacks you perceive are usually
made by people who can think against people who cannot. Anybody competent to
defend themselves against such are likely never to need to. Most newcomers
are welcomed, and will only become the focus of a "gatorbait" investigation
when they earn it. So, the people leaving due to these "attacks" are
(mostly) no loss. In any public forum, somebody has to carry out the trash
or it begins to stink up the place. The CoV has been inordinately smelly of
late. I recall Bertrand Russell citing somebody that explained that the
reason that bunnies have white tails is to provide a target. I enjoy
shooting and have no objections to rabbit pie.

[David Hill 1] I suspect that Hermit spends so much time on his intellectual
pursuits that he cannot weld, machine or fly. I believe in my heart that I
am a better soft tissue surgeon than he.

[Hermit 1] You may be a surgeon and a rocket scientist for all I know or
care - and I won't attempt to compete with you on those scores. But like
anyone else here, I can only deal with the way that you project yourself on
the CoV. But as many here know, you picked really bad examples of what you
think that I cannot do <smirk>. At least as bad as your other unsupported
assertions.

[David Hill 1] ...and the pattern Hermit shows so well: Everybody thinks
they are right.

[Hermit 1] No. Most people, including you ([David Hill 1.1] supra) think
seldom or at all. I [i]know[/i] that I am right that people have to think in
order to hold rational discourse (definitional). And I [i]know[/i] that I am
right to attempt to defend reason, experience and rationality and others
attempting the same, here and elsewhere (no alternative has ever lead to any
recorded deliberate advancement in recorded history).

[Hermit 1] As I have said - and demonstrated - I don't care what you think,
or how wrong I am on any subject. Even if you think that I am a jerk. What I
care about is that you can defend your assertions and explain why you think
as you do. Feel free.

[David Hill 1] Hey Hermie, who's WE anyway.

[Hermit 1] Anyone who thinks that an unsubstantiated negative epithet
applied to others, like an uninvited familiarity, is better described by its
common or garden name. A deliberate insult. Does that answer your question
Davie?