RE: virus: Kirk: Standing my ground Ping Joe

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 20:09:25 MST

[Joe Dees] If there were any kind of effect or transfer from 'one' to the
'other', 'they' would have to be considered as components of the single
universe, by definition, for universe means one world, or all that is the
case. For this reason, speculation concerning same is destined to be forever
sterile and unproductive.

[Hermit] I have to disagree with this. There are a number of postulated
mechanisms whereby more than one universe is not only possible but
predicated. For example, unless an independent universe is created during
the collapse of a black hole, the law of conservation of information would
be violated (Hawkin Radiation cannot transfer information). This leads to
the anticipation that new universii are created on a continuous basis from
within our Universe. At their creation they would evaporate from our
Universe and develop an independent existence in the flux.

[Hermit] These universii would have their own independent space-time and
physical laws which need bear little resemblence to ours, precluding any
"linkage" between them. Yet string theory seems to imply that (at least
theoretically) it would be possible to "seed" a block-hole with wormholes
which would be present in both universii and which would expand along with
the newly formed universe to provide a gateway between them. If this is the
case, it is also possible that it occurs naturally, and that should we
develop the ability to locate wormholes that we might well develop an
ability to explore neighbouring universii through these wormholes.

[Hermit] If there is anything in this, and given the rapid acceptance of
string theory, I rather think that there may be, this implies a way in which
we (or our memes) could sidestep entropy and simply create new Universii on
demand, linked by a network of gateways. So not everything need come to a
sad cold end, although there may well come a time in the life of a Universe
when it would no longer be possible for it to sustain black holes.

[Hermit] So I really don't think that this speculation is either sterile or
unproductive.

Regards

Hermit