RE: virus: How Christianity...my two cents...

From: Richard Ridge (richard_ridge@tao-group.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 06:08:23 MST

> [Hermit] The West did not "choose" to lay Christian support for Kings or
> slavery aside, rather we developed economically to the point where these
> concepts ceased to make sense - and then we abandoned those parts of the
> memplex which conflicted with utility.

To be precise, political expediency dealt the first blow to the concept of
divine right in 1587, with Elizabeth's execution of Mary, the Sovereign
Queen of the Scots. Elizabeth firmly believed in divine right and was well
aware that it formed the basis of her right to reign; hence her
prevarication in signing the death warrant of another monarch. As it
happened this was the precedent that probably paved the way for Cromwell and
the execution of King Charles (events would probably have proceeded on
course anyway, but a good precedent always makes a useful lubricant).
However, I would also observe that the demise of divine right was in part
instigated by a puritanism that was markedly more virulent than the
preceding Catholicism; i.e. John Knox's Calvinistic tracts 'The First Blast
of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women,' which also enjoyed
some later repute with the Puritans led by Cromwell.

PS

Thanks for the summary on the ten commandments bill. I do recall it now,
although I fear my mind tends to automatically block out matters involving
American fundamentalists.