RE: virus: Jesus - the snuff movie.

From: Jurgens (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 00:48:09 MST

    [Blunderov]
    Thought provoking piece from a former Anglican priest
    Best Regards

    <q>
    Jesus is crucified daily by people who miss the point

    Like many, I am now thoroughly sick and tired of reading articles about
    this wretched film and listening to endless talk shows on the radio and
    even television. It seems to me as though facist religion of all shapes
    and hues has finally found common ground. And no, wild horses wouldn't
    drag me to see it.

    Firstly, I understand it is in Latin and Aramaic. I battle with Swedish
    subtitles, so why should I inflict Aramaic on myself? Secondly, I
    understand it is unwarrantably gory - well, there is my second reason to
    stay away. And, thirdly, from what everyone is saying, it seems to be
    right-wing charismatics in bed with right-wing Catholics, all fighting
    each other to book whole cinemas and have what they call a "spiritual
    experience". A very good third and final reason not to go.

    As it is, I hate religious films. For some reason, I was persuaded many
    years ago to go and see Franco Zeferreli's Jesus of Nazareth. It was too
    ghastly for words. In this one, Jesus had something like blue flames
    shooting from his hands everytime he healed someone or did some other
    miracle. It was as literal as anything you can imagine. It was boring to
    the point of complete distraction. I came out of the movie vowing never
    to punish myself with anything remotely like it again.

    Now as I understand it, one of the contentious points of this movie is
    that it gives the impression that the Jews killed Christ and this is
    considered by some people to be a retrograde step. Well, yes, I would
    wholeheartedly agree. It would indeed be a retrograde step. It would be
    equally retrograde to say that the Romans killed Christ and, therefore,
    we should hate all Italians. It is true that for expedient, clearly
    political reasons, the early Church, faced as it was with persecution
    under the Roman state, bent over backwards to assure the rulers that no
    hint of blame was being placed on them by the emerging church. No, no!
    The early Church (in which the Gospels were written from about AD 47
    onwards) argued that Pilate, the Roman governor, was no more than a weak
    - not culpable - character. After all, according to the Gospel of John,
    Pilate found no crime in him. According to Luke, neither Pilate nor
    Herod (the Bantustan ruler) found him guilty of anything. But the Jews!
    Ah, the Jews. Not only had they rejected their own Messiah but they
    were, in fact, the real Christ killers. Matthew has the crowd howl "His
    blood be upon us and upon our children". The Roman state is thereby
    exonerated of the death of Jesus and the Church is safe for a time.

    The Church was protecting itself. It had horrifying consequences down
    the ages but it was a politically expedient decision. Undoubtedly it was
    an understandable decision. But, for goodness sake, let us not pretend
    that the words recorded in the various Gospels were the actual words of
    the crowds or the actual words of Pilate or the actual words of anyone
    at all. There were no tape recorders. There was no CNN or BBC. The
    Gospels were written at the earliest about 40 years after the event.
    They were, therefore, highly coloured by the context of the time in
    which the writing was taking place.

    But more than that, surely even the most basic theology will lead us to
    the view that it was neither the Romans nor the Jews who were
    responsible for the death of Jesus. It was a consequence of evil, or
    sin, or whatever you choose to call it. But, even more than that, what
    if Pilate was strong and the Jews happened to be taking a break from
    being an angry and persuasive rabble for the day, and Jesus was released
    and lived to die in comfort in his bed? The evangelicals wouldn't want
    that, surely? No, there has got to be a dead Christ for there to be
    salvation. So really, perhaps if the Jews did it, we should all be
    thanking them profusely!

    This is where such nonsense theology leads in the end. Because the
    essence of the whole Gospel is that Christ gets crucified daily and very
    often it is the Evangelical or the Catholic who is happy to call for his
    death.

    Why is it, I wonder, that one can bet on the fact that the selfsame
    people who are booking cinemas out for themselves to see this movie are
    the same people who want the return of the death penalty. Why is it that
    the same people, probably, couldn't give a damn about anything other
    than their closed worlds of narrow-minded religion and pitiless
    judgements? Just a hunch. But I would be prepared to put a lot of money
    down on that position.

    Blood and gore have always been a part of Christianity. Faber, one of
    the great Tractarian hymn writers, without so much as a quiver of
    apprehension, wrote hymns about bathing in the fountain of the saviour's
    blood. The difference between the Tractarians, however, and the latter
    day crowds rushing to see Mel Gibson's film about blood, is in the
    quality of their social conscience and social action. In no interview
    that I have heard of people coming out of the Mel Gibson film did I hear
    a person say, "That movie has made me look again at the nature of evil
    and, because of that, I am constrained to redouble my efforts to do good
    in the world, to put an end to suffering, to seek justice and peace."

    No, what have I heard? I have heard that this is the "true" depiction of
    Jesus. And of course the Jews were to blame. And (in some way I have yet
    to understand) we must all become Christians because God loves us all so
    much.

    If all God wanted was a world full of Christians, one has to admit, with
    all due respect, this this was a pretty odd way of achieving that
    objective.

    And if some of that plan rests on Mel Gibson making a gory film in Latin
    and Aramaic about Jesus, then, frankly, I think I despair.

    But maybe, just maybe, there is a strong similarity between the people
    rushing to see this film and the people strapping bombs to themselves
    and blowing themselves up along with other people. Maybe fundamentalism
    is one of the real evils of our time and maybe Jesus is crucified afresh
    every time they open their mouths or win a convert.

    Michael Worsnip is a former Anglican priest and the current programme
    manager for the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site, run by the
    Gauteng Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Environment and Land
    Affairs.

    Publish Date: 6 April 2004
    </q>