virus: Re:What is Google really building?

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 18:25:48 MDT

    [simul]
    But they are missing one key component of growth.
    Decentralizing network and computing resources is very smart...

    Decentralizing brand is even smarter.
    It keeps government regulators off your ass.
    Google, IMHO, has just become a regulatory target.
    They would have been better off selling the right for other companies to develop on their proprietary platform, then trying to swallow the whole internet with one brand name.

    [rhinoceros]
    What strikes me as odd about Google is that by sticking with their ad-free and text-only ads design (not that I complain) they give a definite impression that they are not driven by their marketing department but by their engineers and designers (rather unusual to be true in our cynic days).

    I have also noticed that they are not even in NASDAQ while Yahoo is, and that they had been selling their services to Yahoo until recently (Yahoo uses its own engine now). Their recent announcement of Gmail may have been a result of their fall out with Yahoo to some degree. Here are some links I found:

    Yahoo and Google: Cold War redux
    January 19, 2004: 12:05 PM EST
    http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/19/technology/techinvestor/hellweg/

    Losing the Yahoo account, Google is no longer the sole superpower in search.

    NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - When Yahoo announced its fourth-quarter earnings on Wednesday, investors drove down the stock price in part because the results weren't "boffo" enough.

    But a small bit of news also released that day should appease the boffomongers for 2004: Yahoo will be dumping Google as its search technology provider sometime in the first quarter.

    Yahoo! Birth of a New Machine
    February 18, 2004
    http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3314171

    Yahoo is rolling out a brand new search engine today, with its own index and ranking mechanisms, casting aside its long-standing use of Google-powered search results. The move is bound to roil the industry and sets in motion a new race for the claim of web search champion.

    Yahoo! Drops Google, Launches New Search Engine
    February 20th, 2004, 5:32 AM
    http://www.betanews.com/article.php3?sid=1077273127

    Yahoo! has ended its marriage of convenience with Google and has begun to field test its own search engine technology in regional markets. The rollout of Yahoo's new engine, built on top of technology acquired from Inktomi, marks an unofficial end to its partnership with Google, which dates back to October 2002.

    Search Engine News
    http://www.pandia.com/searchworld/

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2004 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=61;action=display;threadid=30134>