Re: virus: Michelle: Fasting/Cleansing

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 10:11:42 MST

OK, just to clear it all up :

2 tbsp Maple Syrup (which is the necessary amount for sweetening (but no
more) when using 2 tbsp pure lemon juice fresh squeezed) = 100 calories ,
and is a decent source of potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, thiamin &
riboflavin. Grade B (same as grade C these days) is what is used, which is
less refined and has a stronger maple flavor(closer to the tree)

2 tbsp Lemon Juice is approximately the following: Calories 20, Sodium
10mg, Total Carbohydrate 6g, Dietary Fiber 1g; Calcium 2%, Vitamin C 35%
USRDA

Additional ingredient in the lemonade: Cayenne pepper, to taste. Has some
vitamins A, C & E, but it all depends on what "to taste" means for you - for
me it's a bunch.

Here's once source on the Master Cleanser diet -
http://www.curezone.com/cleanse/bowel/master_cleanse.html , though it is
couched in a bunch of hooey in many ways. The diet is fairly simple and
anecdotally has been helpful to thousands of people (testimonials can be
found with a goodle search - I've found a couple of journals online), but I
can't say I buy all the pseudoscience the author uses to justify it.
Perhaps it just works and we don't know for sure why yet. I do know that
all that cayenne would kill just about anything parasitic in your intestinal
tract.

The long and short of it is that I'm done with it now (easing back into
solids), and I feel just fine. I can say 1) I'm about 10 lbs lighter, 2)
some skin problems have cleared up, 3) my food habits have been reset, at
least for now, 4) I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment in having done
it, 5) I feel very energetic and happy, 6) nothing hurts or feels odd - in
fact, I feel somehow lighter inside, like my body's not distracted (I know,
very mushy talk). I start on vegetable broth today and will be eating
normally by Sunday.

Perhaps we can make this a little more topical by questioning why some
people believe in fasting with all their hearts and others denounce it
furiously? Why has the self-healing meme survived for so long in the fact
of modern medical advancements? Is it all mind-over-matter, the fact that
in so many cases it actually works?