virus: 2 weeks working in churches can really wear a man down - 2 subjects

From: Bill Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 16:22:43 MST

Well, I have spent the last few weeks installing sound systems in
churches. Whoohoo - Tuesday night was the best though as I got to
witness a good, ol fashioned, revival!

I felt like an antropologist hangin out with savages. Yes siree - as
"the Holy Ghost" moved through the crowd people would stand and start
speaking in tongues. They would stand their with their hands in the air,
as though the weight of the almighty would crush them, yelling out "Our
Saviour lives, Amen, and Praise Jeeezus".

The Lord Almighty must have been there or I would not have seen what I
saw - for it truly enlightened me. They had a missionary family in town
and the missionary had all 9 of his children (I kid you not) stand at
the front and sing songs, then recite scripture from memory, then sing
some more. The church goers told me that they were lucky, he was
bringing up all his children to be missionaries. Then he told me how
they stay in one town for a week or so, then would move on. They also
informed me that the missionary family has no home, or other work, "They
are dedicated to the lord, Praise Jeezus". I asked how he fed his
children? "The Church provides for them after the revival". They took up
a collection of money and food for the family in a pretty, red velvet
bag. How blessed they are. I was more than just lucky, they asked if
they could save me, and if I would like to be reborn?

"No", I told them politely.

"What Church do you go to?" they asked.

"None in particular" was my response. Please don't be offended by my
denial of the CoV, brothers and sisters. I felt that either "I'm an
atheist" or "I belong to the Church of Virus" might be expensive
answers.

Of course, to my eyes, it looked like child abuse of the worst sort. The
children have no education save for the bible (ages 2 to 16 by the
looks), rely on the offerings of the church for food, and spend all
their time in the tender embrace of gods teachings with their father and
mother. It was sad, it was frightening, I could think only of my son,
and how important it is to protect him from people like that. Indeed,
right then I decided that my son's brainwashing would consist of ideas
like "The Scientific Method", "Occams Razor", revelry in masculinity,
music and art.

Boy did they sound good on the new BOSE sound system I installed though.

Subject 2
GREAT NEWS FOR US ATHEISTS!

I also found this link at slashot.com

 A crushing blow to Christian scientists everywhere

Basically the article describes how major changes in body shape
happened. I cannot do the article justice using my words, so here are
two paragraphs:

Biologists at the University of California, San Diego have uncovered the
first genetic evidence that explains how large-scale alterations to body
plans were accomplished during the early evolution of animals.

The achievement is a landmark in evolutionary biology, not only because
it shows how new animal body plans could arise from a simple genetic
mutation, but because it effectively answers a major criticism
creationists had long leveled against evolution—the absence of a genetic
mechanism that could permit animals to introduce radical new body
designs.

Bonus Question

Anyone feeling really nice but not too long winded and could sum up the
last 2 weeks of activity here at the CoV so that I don't have to skim a
thousand of so messages would be my pal! Thanks!

Bill Roh
missing you all