Re: virus: Cannabinoid receptors and munchies : reprise

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 15:09:35 MST

Really the only option for airplay on such things has been cable access -
and then you get a couple of Icke-like viewers who become passionate loonies
and take the message to the streets, where hip arty college-age networking
anti-establishment kids hear the message and distill it to whatever is
sensible about it, and then they take it to their peers, who take it to
their peers (and maybe parents and classmates who might be/become scientists
or legislators) and so on until you have a group like NORML being kind of a
powerful voice. It's only taken what? 30 years?

I may be attributing more power to NORML than they're due, since I live in
Oregon. But medical marijuana was a huge step (tho it's still in limbo),
and the advance was a grassroots thing. Maybe movements have gotten louder
and more aggressive (from beatniks to hippies to punks) in pace with the
media getting louder and more agressive. It may be that these days the
establishment clamor is so loud that the anti-establishment must act in big,
attention-getting ways to get any voice at all. And to think, it used to be
that a petition would do the job - isn't that how prohibition got going in
the first place? A nice, polite petition (well, plus the backing of big
business)?

So as far as CoV goes, it's either public access/internet or rioting...