RE: virus: Response to Joe Dees. "Is the US a Rogue Nation?"

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 00:30:22 MST

On 8 Feb 2002 at 13:49, Blunderov wrote:

> RE: virus: Response to Joe Dees. "Is the US a Rogue Nation?" Fri 2002/02/08
> 04:50, joedees@bellsouth.net
>
> <snip>
> [quote]
> Okay, let's be even handed; not restrain either side, and sell weapons
> to both, and not care ourselves, either. You like? I thought not. [/quote]
> <snap>
>
> [Blunderov]
> I would prefer it if the USA were to unstitch the Star of David from the
> Stars and Stripes altogether.

Let's just not stitch a star and crescent in its place, hokay?

> <snip>
> [quote]
> That would make the Palestinians our enemy, since they have
> consistently allied themselves those who wish the US ill; first Iraq, then
> Iran. Remember that the terrorist that Iran is sheltering, Imad
> Mugniyah, who arranged for the Iranian weapons shipment to the
> Palestinians via Karime
> [/quote]
> <snap>
>
> [Blunderov]
> I don't understand. The Palestinians should be grateful to the USA for all
> the F16 shipments, the patriot anti-missile missile installations, the very
> extensive "educational" aid, a veto in the UN (available on request) and etc
> that goes to Israel? The Palestinians are plainly unreasonable to take
> umbrage at such commonplace, if rather one-sided, transactions, and should
> at no time attempt to secure a source of weapons for themselves, because
> they would then, by definition, become loathsome terrorists? It is amazing
> to me that, even now, America does not appreciate just how much it's
> unstinting support of Israel had to do with the attacks on the WTC and
> Pentagon.

You sound as if you do not remember that Israel has been in three wars ('56,
'67 and '73), and that they have been attacked in the past by Egypt, Syria
and Jordan simultaneously. That's who the weapons are intended as
security against.

> It is clear that the Israelis cannot, at this stage, be asked to pack up
> their tents and return to from whence they came, neither is it reasonable to
> expect the Palestinians to accept a marginal existence in the land of their
> birth. It is also clear that, in the global scheme of things, a solution has
> never been more urgently needed.
>
> Perhaps the time has come to insist upon an equitable partition of Israel
> and an international peacekeeping force? I fear the more this situation goes
> on as it is, the more tears will be shed, and many of them will be American.
>
> Or is there another plan that might rid the USA of what it turning out to be
> a very smelly albatross indeed?

I'm in favor of a two state solution, with the West Bank and Gaza Palestinian,
the rest Israeli, and Jerusalem overall internationalized and administered by
the UN, but with the capitols of the two states, if they wish, housed in their
respective ethnic enclaves.