Re: virus: Cannabinoid receptors and munchies : reprise

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 10:02:39 MST

Richard,

My interest in memetics is mainly in the possibility of manufacturing
immunity. My (casual) study of it is more on the lines of "know thy enemy".
While ideas may come in meme form, far too often they are in memePLEX
situations where an uneducated (or un-immunized) person cannot separate the
good from the bad in the package - like canned chili: pretty tasty, kind of
good for you, but there's a bunch of stuff in there you really wouldn't want
to consume, given the choice, and you can't really have some without the
rest. I suppose in the case of memetics I am in favor of a more full and
total digestion before choices are made, which I don't think is too far off
the ideals of most people on the list. At the heart of it, IMO, is that
most people aren't secure enough to try ideas on before accepting them - as
you mentioned, most people must fill the hole left by whatever they were
raised believing and aren't able to be without assigned belief for any
period of time. But is that a concrete aspect of being human, or can it be
overcome? It seems like it's overcome in some, so it could be overcome in
all - in which case we'd be much less suceptible to _crap_, as a species.

And you are correct, there are lots of sad truths about memetic propagation.
I admit to being an idealist, and I do wish that people weren't such willing
and indescriminate hosts. What's always bothered me, however, is the
scientific (and sometimes elitist) resignation about the dumb masses and
their fate (in which the observer almost never believes they share). When
you learn about current events, are you sad, curious or patiently hopeful?
Detached? Something else?

PS- Even new-age self-help books have _a few_ nuggets of truth in them. Do
you always throw out the baby with the bathwater? (But my casual sex
example was merely a spontaneous attempt at finding something that would
illustrate my point. I've never read it in any book that I recall.)