Re: virus: Side out for Soilent Green. It takes a tribe.

From: Michael Cooley (mfcooley@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 17:55:59 MST

I would just like to throw this out in response to this thread as it was
the first thing that came to mind. A while ago on KMO's c-realm thought
of the day archive [url] http://www.c-realm.com/totd/ [/url] I came
across two quotes:

Some say, "The wrong people are having children these days." [...]
Implicit in these opinions is the attitude that some people are the
right people to pass along their genes. Smart, financially secure,
responsible, socially aware people with superior genes ought to make
more of each other. After all, someone is going to, right?

Maybe so, but even if intelligence could be measured or inherited,
there's no evidence that smart people's exhaust stinks less than
morons'. And, since the wealthy are better able to provide materially
for their dependents than are the economically disadvantaged, they're
also likely to do the most damage to the environment with their
excessive consumption.
-VHEMT (The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement)

A woman on the upper east side of New York or in Malibu ... has a child.
That child will have between eight hundred and a thousand times more
negative impact on the environment of the Earth than a child born to a
woman in Bangledesh. Where do we preach birth control? Bangledesh.
-Terrence McKenna

[Michael] I think the VHEMT website would be worth a look [url]
http://www.vhemt.org/ [/url]. Especially the link "I'm extra smart.
Shouldn't I pass on my genes?" under "Biology and Breeding." I would be
interested to know what members of the congregation (or at least this
thread) think about it.

Lastly, VHEMT does fit the definition of an auto-toxic meme. Its does
respond to this fact on the website, although I'm not sure if its
reasoning will save it in the end. Refer [url]
http://www.vhemt.org/death.htm#meme [/url]

Michael

P.S. I do not necessarily endorse the views of VHEMT (and do not wish to
offend those who have decided to reproduce). I would however like to
acknowledge the posts (recent and not so recent) concerning successful
parenting techniques for raising children with the ability to think
critically.

P.P.S. C-Realm also happens to be what led me towards CoV (although it
took me quite some time, but I suppose it is fact that I made it
eventually that counts).