Re: virus: The world keeps on spinning...

From: Zphobic (zphobic@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 14:51:37 MST

[TheSebbster] ...what about the rights of plants?? just because theyre
different from us,
doesnt mean we can just pretend theyre not alive!!

[Z] Ah. I don't care if it's alive or not. I care if it feels pain. Can
it feel pain in the same way humans do? The same chemicals, like cows,
rabbits, chickens, sheep, and ducks have? That plants do not?

[Z] Since I have evolved with cows/sheep/rabbits etc. from the same animal
ancestor (way long ago, to be true) I assume those chemicals serve the same
function in their brain as in ours. And I don't like pain - I try to avoid
it whenever possible, in myself or in others, be they human or cow.

[Z] Why does that make you lose respect for me? Why does that make you
think I'm hypocritical?

[Z] Normally I wouldn't attack your arguments except to defend mine. But
several of them are so tempting...

[TheSebbster] ..this line of reasoning is soooo incredibly hypocritical it
makes me want
 to cry...but so does my spelling at times;) at what point will people
 accept their unchangeable residence at the top of the food chain? life
 requires death no matter how you look at it....excluding a few rare sorts
 that live off of minerals etc.... the best we can do is to be humane and
 kind in our approach to the necessary killing our existence requires.

[Z] You can be humane and kind, if you wish, by eating less or no meat.
This reduces the numbers of animals grown for food and animal slaughters,
which is probably very kind to them.

[TheSebbster] although rabbits, cows, chickens, sheep, vegetables, ducks
etc. die to keep
 me alive and sustain my human existence, i still go out of my way to help
 animals, insects, vegetables and fungi where i may. i attempt to cause as
 little unnecessary death as possible...

[Z] Then why do you eat meat?? PLEASE explain that; it seems like an
immense contradiction.

[TheSebbster] but i can also appreciate that every
 breath i take results in the death of countless creatures below my ladder
 rung. and who knows...perhaps some fungus or bacteria will be my conquerer
 one day...i can but revel in the soup of life and be happy that my species
 is a rather long-lived one and better equipped(the human brain) than any
 other to deal with other competing and guilt free organisms in their quest
 for a home, expansion and survival. if anyone tells me theyre a vegan or a
 vegetarian for 'moral' purposes, i lose about 95% respect for that
 person/hypocrite. it's the very definition of ignorance....the creatures
 that die for them dont even get an ounce of respect - very sad.

 drsebby. eating chicken and steak as i write.
 PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals :D actually my mother gives
 the PETA commandoes money!:) hahaha