RE: virus: Rich's Vegan Ethics? McAmerika Rex or You can have my steak when y...

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 23:21:32 MST

[Zphobic] Since I have evolved with cows/sheep/rabbits etc. from the same
animal ancestor (way long ago, to be true) I assume those chemicals serve
the same function in their brain as in ours. And I don't like pain - I try
to avoid it whenever possible, in myself or in others, be they human or cow.

[Dr Sebby]...um first of all...if you keep tracing life back far enough,
your ancestors ARE plants! secondly, cows dont feel "pain" to anywhere near
the degree you or i do - so while youre busy emoting and personifying the
relatively nerve numb cow with your immensely complex nervous system, try
not to let yourself get too blinded by your imagined kindness such that you
forever fail to see to the great degree to which you are lying to yourself
and those to whom you offer these 'ethical' practises of yours. like i
said...you and i cause roughly the same amount of death in exchange for our
lives - you just dont acknowledge it or respect it. you pretend it doesnt
happen.

[Jake] I also don't understand your trying to play down the degree to which
cows feel pain. As a fellow mammal, their physiological details of physical
pain hardly differ from our own. I don't understand why you want to make
them out as "numb". Now at the same time I agree that some tend to overly
anthropomorphize the mental lives of other animals, but when it comes to
fairly basic things like physical pain, I see no reason to make such a great
distinction between us and them (cows in this case) on that issue.

[Hermit] Dr Sebby is quite correct on the pain score. Cows - and indeed, as
far as I know, all animals, do experience "pain" very differently to humans.
I have seen animals walking around with diseases and injuries that would
probably kill a human from shock - and evidently not unhappy.

Kind Regards

Hermit

PS Jake, you are [i]still[/i] sending <aaaargh> HTML to the list. Please
shoot "AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10551" or do something to stop it. Hint.
There is an undocumented trick by which you can force AOL 6.0 to send an
individual message as plain text, although there's no way to reset it to
send plain text by default. The trick is to select the entire message, right
click on it, and select Text > Normal. I don't know of a way to change its
behavior permanently. AOL 7.0 is a slight improvement, it sends HTML when
you apply explicit formatting but sends plain text if you refrain from
applying explicit formatting (but quoting another message is the same as
applying formatting). The same trick works for AOL 7.0 as for 6.0, but
rather than upgrading AOHell, I urge, beg, plead and recommend that you get
a real Internet service. Otherwise, I suggest that you consider getting a
web mail service that does not send HTML mail.