Re: virus: To ben: Lets not beat around the meat.

From: Mermaid . (britannica@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 15:44:13 MST

[ben 2] I was in no way suggesting that they stop eating meat - I was
suggesting that they should stop trying to 'cosmetify' it and deal with the
reality of human nature as well as nature itself.

[Mermaid]I am sorry. I thought that was your suggestion. I even assumed that
you were coming off as a tad hostile towards me.

[Mermaid]About trying to 'cosmetify' meat...what do you think cooking is?
That little sprig of mint brings so much joy to our hearts, colours to our
eyes and lightens our wallets...but we need it...we pay for it...because?
just because we like to 'cosmetify' our foods. Where dont you do it? Right
from the cartons to the food labels to food colours to advertising...its all
over the place...which is not necessarily a bad thing. The only bad thing I
see is the over indulgence at the cost of cutting short our lifespan. The
other thing that bothers me is our loss of awareness that animals are living
beings too.

[ben 2] Thanks, now I know the meaning of the phrase 'personal perference'
:P I realize very well that it is personal preference. Are you going to tell
me that personal preferences are completely unfounded in other personality
traits?

[Mermaid]I didnt get that, ben.

[ben 2]No, but now that you mention it I will. OK not cows perhaps exactly,
but I do think that every person should go hunting at least once, and kill
at least once, to gain a better understanding of what 'being a meat-eater'
entails. Which, in the long run, would probably lead to less meat in the
human diet, not more.

[Mermaid]I agree..totally! One has to remember that man has always consumed
less meat and worked more in the past. We lead a more sedentary life and eat
more. Not a good scenario. To consider the quality of food that we take to
our mouths makes it even more dismal.

[ben 2] Interesting example, but unneccessary. I never claimed that animals
don't feel pain.

[Mermaid]Apologies. I must have attributed that comment to you by oversight.