virus: Base memeplex for Christianity?

From: Daniel Staniforth (theonlygolux@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 05:50:00 MST

Afternoon chaps,
My name is Dan and I am a third year psychology student studying in
Manchester.(England) I am beginning my final project and am investigating
the base memeplex of Christianity. In order to do this I have compiled a
questionnaire. I intend to have certain groups of people fill this out. I
hope the Christian union will oblige me and also the Jewish society as well
as my fellow Psychology students. I thought it might be interesting to
obtain a core Atheist sample too...If you could spare the time to complete
this I would be most grateful. Any criticisms would also be welcomed.
Cheers very much.

Please respond to the following questions.

Do you believe in a higher power? Y/N
Do you believe in God? Y/N
Do your parents hold the same religious beliefs as you? Y/N
Do you accept evolution to be true? Y/N
Do you believe the universe has a creator? Y/N
Do you consider yourself to be religious? Y/N
Do you feel your beliefs are supported by science? Y/N
Do you have faith in yourself? Y/N
Do you have faith in other people? Y/N
Do you have faith in a higher power? Y/N
Do you believe scientists are right to try and discover the underlying
answer to all things? Y/N
Do you accept Jesus Christ, Our Lord, Our Saviour as the Messiah? Y/N
Do you feel that Atheists are “missing out”? Y/N
Would you like to see more people embracing your faith? Y/N
Do you often argue your point of view with others? Y/N
Can you produce evidence to back up your claims? Y/N
Will you accept a rival point of view if scientific evidence shows it to be
true? Y/N
Do you believe it is right that every theory about the world in which we
live should be subject to scientific enquiry? Y/N
Do you believe religious theories of the world should be subject to
scientific enquiry? Y/N
Will you accept evidence that shows religious theories to be false? Y/N
Do you believe in the supernatural? Y/N
Do you believe in a soul which is separate from the body? Y/N
Do you go to religious services on a regular basis? Y/N
Do you try to follow your religious set of ethical and moral
guidelines? Y/N
Do you believe the mind is separate from the physical body? Y/N
Do you believe your deity to have a human form? Y/N
What is the name of your deity? Y/N
Do you believe the Pope is God’s representative here on earth? Y/N
How old were you when you first felt yourself to be truly religious? ___
Did this come about spontaneously? Y/N
Were you “converted” or “shown the light” by a member of a church? Y/N
Did you have a personal revelational experience? Y/N
Have you ever had a personal revelational experience? Y/N
Do you believe Jesus was the Son of God? Y/N
Do you believe Jesus was the Messiah? Y/N
Do you believe he died and rose again? Y/N
Do you believe the Bible is right? Y/N
Do you believe the Bible is true? Y/N
Do you believe you must have faith? Y/N
Do you believe in the power of prayer? Y/N
Do you believe you must try to convert people? Y/N
Will this “save” them? Y/N
Do you believe it is good to tell others about your beliefs? Y/N
Will you raise your children to believe what you believe? Y/N
Do you think you are a better person for your beliefs? Y/N
Have you been baptised? Y/N
Have you been confirmed? Y/N
Do you trust in God? Y/N
Should I trust in God? Y/N
Are non-believers bad? Y/N
Are non-believers missing out? Y/N
Are non-believers unenlightened? Y/N
Are non-believers wrong? Y/N
Will non-believers be punished? Y/N
Do you believe in hell? Y/N
Do you believe a loving God wants people tortured for ever? Y/N
Do you believe in life after death? Y/N
Do you believe the soul can be divorced from the body? Y/N
Do you believe you will be rewarded or punished after death? Y/N
Do you believe all humans were created in Gods image? Y/N
Do you believe all humans are born equal? Y/N
Do you believe witchcraft is evil? Y/N
Do you believe witchcraft is wrong? Y/N
Has religion helped with your problems? Y/N
Is sex immoral outside of marriage? Y/N
Can the Government fix all our problems? Y/N
Do you believe in reincarnation? Y/N
Do you believe that yours is the only true belief? Y/N
Do you accept the idea of a supernatural being ruling your life? Y/N
Does religion give you answers? Y/N
Are they the right answers? Y/N
Do you really need these answers in order to carry on with your life? Y/N
Do you believe there is a purpose to life over and above
reproduction? Y/N
Is God good? Y/N
Do you agree that there are certain things that should never be
discussed? Y/N
Do you think religion should be taught in schools? Y/N
Which religion should be taught in schools? Y/N
Do you feel the name religion is not adequate to describe your
beliefs? Y/N
Do you ever have doubts in your belief? Y/N
Are these doubts sent to test you? Y/N
Do you believe the bible is the literal truth? Y/N
What is the gender of God? M/F
Do humans have free will? Y/N
Is God omniscient? (all knowing) Y/N
Is God omnipresent? Y/N
Are homosexuals ill? Y/N
Do you believe abortion is acceptable? Y/N
Do you believe injustices in this world may be rectified in the next? Y/N

Please rate each item below by using the following scale:
1- strongly feel this is true
2- feel this is true
3- uncertain about this statement
4- feel this is untrue
5- strongly feel this is untrue

God made everything- the stars, the animals, and the flowers.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There are many events that cannot be explained except on the basis of divine
or supernatural intervention
                        1…2…3…4…5

The idea of God is useless.
                        1…2…3…4…5

God hears and answers ones prayers.
                        1…2…3…4…5

The universe is merely a machine. Man and nature are creatures of cause and
effect. All notions of deity as intelligent being or as a “spiritual force”
are fictions, and prayer is a useless superstition
                        1…2…3…4…5

God created Man separate and distinct from animals.
                        1…2…3…4…5

The orderliness of the universe is the result of a divine plan.
                        1…2…3…4…5

The church is the greatest influence for good government and right living.
                        1…2…3…4…5

God will, depending on how we behave on earth, reward or punish us in the
world to come.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Man is a creature of faith and to live without faith in some supreme power
is to suffer a homesickness of
the soul. 1…2…3…4…5

The world was created in six solar days.
                        1…2…3…4…5

God has good reason for everything that happens to us, even though we cannot
understand it sometimes.
                        1…2…3…4…5

The soul lives on after the body dies.
                        1…2…3…4…5

The first writing of the bible was done under guidance from God
                        1…2…3…4…5

Belief in God makes life here on Earth worthwhile.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There is a personal God.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There are spiritual realities of some kind.
                        1…2…3…4…5

The world was created by God.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There is a personal Devil.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There are such spiritual beings as angels.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Jonah was swallowed by a great fish and afterwards emerged alive.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Man has been evolved from lower forms of life.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There is an impersonal God.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Religion is the opium of the people.
                        1…2…3…4…5

There is no God.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Christianity is a better religion than Buddhism.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Right will triumph.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Religious truth is higher than any other kind of truth.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Jesus was more than a prophet, he was God’s only son.
                        1…2…3…4…5

Thank You for your time. I will post my findings also if people would be
interested. Dan