Re: virus: Base memeplex for Christianity?

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 08:43:32 MST

* means 'depends on the situation'

Do you believe in a higher power? N
Do you believe in God? N
Do your parents hold the same religious beliefs as you? N
Do you accept evolution to be true? Y
Do you believe the universe has a creator? N
Do you consider yourself to be religious? N
Do you feel your beliefs are supported by science? Y
Do you have faith in yourself? Y
Do you have faith in other people? *1
Do you have faith in a higher power? N
Do you believe scientists are right to try and discover the underlying
answer to all things? Y
Do you accept Jesus Christ, Our Lord, Our Saviour as the Messiah? N
Do you feel that Atheists are "missing out"? N
Would you like to see more people embracing your faith? Y
Do you often argue your point of view with others? Y
Can you produce evidence to back up your claims? Y
Will you accept a rival point of view if scientific evidence shows it to be
true? Y
Do you believe it is right that every theory about the world in which we
live should be subject to scientific enquiry? Y
Do you believe religious theories of the world should be subject to
scientific enquiry? Y
Will you accept evidence that shows religious theories to be false? Y
Do you believe in the supernatural? N
Do you believe in a soul which is separate from the body? N
Do you go to religious services on a regular basis? N
Do you try to follow your religious set of ethical and moral guidelines? N/A
Do you believe the mind is separate from the physical body? N
Do you believe your deity to have a human form? Y
What is the name of your deity? ben
Do you believe the Pope is God's representative here on earth? N
How old were you when you first felt yourself to be truly religious? N/A
Did this come about spontaneously? N/A
Were you "converted" or "shown the light" by a member of a church? N
Did you have a personal revelational experience? N
Have you ever had a personal revelational experience? N
Do you believe Jesus was the Son of God? N
Do you believe Jesus was the Messiah? N
Do you believe he died and rose again? N
Do you believe the Bible is right? *2
Do you believe the Bible is true? N
Do you believe you must have faith? N
Do you believe in the power of prayer? N
Do you believe you must try to convert people? Y
Will this "save" them? Y
Do you believe it is good to tell others about your beliefs? Y
Will you raise your children to believe what you believe? N/A
Do you think you are a better person for your beliefs? Y
Have you been baptised? N
Have you been confirmed? N
Do you trust in God? N
Should I trust in God? N
Are non-believers bad? N
Are non-believers missing out? N
Are non-believers unenlightened? N
Are non-believers wrong? N
Will non-believers be punished? *3
Do you believe in hell? N
Do you believe a loving God wants people tortured for ever? N
Do you believe in life after death? N
Do you believe the soul can be divorced from the body? N
Do you believe you will be rewarded or punished after death? N
Do you believe all humans were created in Gods image? N
Do you believe all humans are born equal? N
Do you believe witchcraft is evil? N
Do you believe witchcraft is wrong? Y
Has religion helped with your problems? N
Is sex immoral outside of marriage? N
Can the Government fix all our problems? N
Do you believe in reincarnation? N
Do you believe that yours is the only true belief? *4
Do you accept the idea of a supernatural being ruling your life? N
Does religion give you answers? N
Are they the right answers? N/A
Do you really need these answers in order to carry on with your life? N/A
Do you believe there is a purpose to life over and above reproduction? *5
Is God good? N/A
Do you agree that there are certain things that should never be discussed? N
Do you think religion should be taught in schools? Y
Which religion should be taught in schools? *6
Do you feel the name religion is not adequate to describe your beliefs? Y
Do you ever have doubts in your belief? Y
Are these doubts sent to test you? N
Do you believe the bible is the literal truth? N
What is the gender of God? N/A
Do humans have free will? *7
Is God omniscient? (all knowing) N/A
Is God omnipresent? N/A
Are homosexuals ill? N
Do you believe abortion is acceptable? Y
Do you believe injustices in this world may be rectified in the next? N

1 Depends on the person/people and what task I need to have faith in them
for.
2 Some of the social lessons described in the Bible may have value in some
            circumstances
3 Yes in some societies, certainly not in any kind of 'afterlife'
4 There are varying degrees of 'belief' and 'kind of belief'. The answer
depends on
            where you draw the line between my belief and another one.
5 Purpose in life is very personal. I have given myself purpose, others may
not choose to.
6 All schools should teach something about the major religions that affect
their
            surroundings and history.
7 Undecided - but it sure seems like it

Please rate each item below by using the following scale:
1- strongly feel this is true
2- feel this is true
3- uncertain about this statement
4- feel this is untrue
5- strongly feel this is untrue

God made everything- the stars, the animals, and the flowers.
5

There are many events that cannot be explained except on the basis of divine
or supernatural intervention
5

The idea of God is useless.
2

God hears and answers ones prayers.
5

The universe is merely a machine. Man and nature are creatures of cause and
effect. All notions of deity as intelligent being or as a "spiritual force"
are fictions, and prayer is a useless superstition
1

God created Man separate and distinct from animals.
5

The orderliness of the universe is the result of a divine plan.
5

The church is the greatest influence for good government and right living.
5

God will, depending on how we behave on earth, reward or punish us in the
world to come.
5

Man is a creature of faith and to live without faith in some supreme power
is to suffer a homesickness of the soul.
4

The world was created in six solar days.
5

God has good reason for everything that happens to us, even though we cannot
understand it sometimes.
5

The soul lives on after the body dies.
5

The first writing of the bible was done under guidance from God
5

Belief in God makes life here on Earth worthwhile.
4

There is a personal God.
5

There are spiritual realities of some kind.
4

The world was created by God.
5

There is a personal Devil.
5

There are such spiritual beings as angels.
5

Jonah was swallowed by a great fish and afterwards emerged alive.
5

Man has been evolved from lower forms of life.
1

There is an impersonal God.
5

Religion is the opium of the people.
1

There is no God.
1

Christianity is a better religion than Buddhism.
5

Right will triumph.
5

Religious truth is higher than any other kind of truth.
5

Jesus was more than a prophet, he was God's only son.
5