Re: virus: The world keeps on spinning...

From: athe nonrex (athenonrex@godisdead.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 14:57:53 MST

[athenonrex]
your points are well taken. however, i choose to disagree with part of
you wrote. i will admit that "ronald mcdonald, the clown, is a pig fucking bastard and mcdonald's should be destroied..." has no
substance without elaboration, and opon further thought i should have
put it more eloquently, but i cannot change the past, but only rectify
what i do now and what i shall do in the future.

>[Hermit] The principal reasons it [McDonald's] deserves to fail are matters of taste.
>[Hermit] I assume that even anarchists have to eat somewhere. And it is only
>by virtue of a complex society which protects even anarchists that they can
>live at all. Anarchy can only flourish in the presence of a society that it
>can protest against, it cannot be a society.

[athenonrex]
the simple fact of the matter is we are "protected" as anarchists, to an
extent. we have all heard the dictum "power corrupts," and "absolute
power corrupts absolutly," which has always been the case with every
established government. some corrupt faster then others, but they all
corrupt eventually. and those that whould speak out aginst a corrupt
government are generally silence by whatever means necessary. i will
admit that the USA has great programs to aid minorities, as they are
not allowed to discriminate aginst them. however, one minority that
transcends race, sexual orientation and religious preffrence
[anarchism] has more discrimination than any other minority. this is
statistics, not bias, talking.(i should point out that african americans
were indeed a close second in the "most discriminated aginst" catigory)
and if you would check the definition of "anarchism" (i hate saying this
over and over...) the word anarchist has nothing to do with society.
we, the anarchists of the world, oppose government.

> [athenonrex]the mass slaughter of
> any animal is appaling.
>
> [Hermit] Why? How do you feel about the eradication of anopheles?
    Why would
> it be a "bad thing?" Justify your reply.

[athenonrex]
let me clarify that...the mass slaughter of any thing(plant or animal,
especially those of the endangered variety) for the profiet of a
corporation like McDonald's (for example) is appaling. if you eat meat,
i feel that you should have to kill the animal yourself, in the wild.
but in a world where most animals are huted for "sport" and not food,
or raised for the slaughter, or endangered, it isn't all that popular.
and as most people in any given society follow the rest of the people,
every one relies upon the slaughter houses instead of their abilities.

>[athenonrex]and as far as being vegan goes, don't preach to me while you're
>sitting behind a computer.

last time i checked, they ran off of electricity, most of which
>is produced nowadays in nuclear plants or via oil, which in turn causes
>pollution in general, leading to global warming, causing rainforests to die
>out, killing millions of species.
>
>[Hermit] This is absurd. The one is necessary, but what and how one eats is
>a personal choice. The other is a lifestyle choice. Both are the selection
>of the individual with (possible) social implications. But anarchy proclaims
>that social implications are invalid. Thus, while proclaiming yourself an
>anarchist, you cannot simultaneously criticize somebody else's individual
>choices and expect to be taken seriously.
 Right now, most electricity is produced from coal or gas. The
>absence of electricity would lead to vastly more pollution and a far higher
>toll on the environment - and would kill billions of people. As for nuclear
>plants, they are currently the cleanest and have the least lifecycle
>ecological impact of any power source. Don't knock what you don't begin to
>comprehend and could not hope to see replicated by a society such as that
>which you advocate.

[athenonrex]
faux pax on my part there...
>[athenonrex] so don't preach to me about veganism, for the only way to be a
>true vegan is to live as one with nature and completely shun the modern
>world...
>
>[Hermit] Was that spelt "anarchist" or "absolutist"?

[athenonrex]
every "modern" convenience, in one way or another, does contribute
to the death of some animal or another. and the vegan ideal is to
not bring harm to any form of animal, right?
you put it together, i have to sign off...