virus: "self-reliance " We don't need no stinking self-reliance.

From: Steele, Kirk A (SteeleKA@nafm.misawa.af.mil)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 17:21:54 MST

well now. isn't this interesting.......

"self-reliance"

hm.............................. someone is trying to make inroads into a
formalisation of some form of knowledge.....

It already exists. Let's not re-invent the wheel. Psychology has this
concept already.
"Self Efficacy" and "Learned Helplessness"
Look up a guy by the name of Albert Banduras.

I urge you to read his theories as a starting point for further discussion.
Here is an overview:
http://www.cc.emory.edu/EDUCATION/mfp/eff.html

lest we forget our roots as social scientists folks.......

memetics is an amalgam of social/cognitive psychology and information
systems theory. These are our source domains. Don't waste your wet-ware
recreating your own personal genesis of thought. Other folks have done the
grunt work. Read em.

Work smarter. Not harder!

Kirk

Progress comes from the forefront of knowledge. If you're not thinking on
the edge, you're taking up space. Get out the way!