Re:virus: purely metaphysical

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 20:45:22 MST

[hermit] Until something is disproved, we work with it.

[rhinoceros] True, but how is something disproved? We know from history that this may be done in many different ways. Sometimes, an inexplicable result of an experiment makes us look desperately for a better theory (e.g. the anomalies in the spectrum of hydrogen led to quantum theory), but this does not happen often.

Usually, a new competing theory emerges and finally wins. But how is this new theory initially conceived. In many different ways: By looking for a more \"beautiful\" mathematical model, by trying to unify different existing theories because of a feeling that the undelying principles of the world should be common, or even by trying to realize something from a science fiction story that someone read as a child.

Of course, if we needed to work with something, we should stick to the proven. But this is not the case here, and many people had the chance to make their points.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=11635>