Re:virus: howdy

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 19:06:51 MDT

[Athe\'Nonrex]
(\"evil\" by the way, a concept that i don\'t believe in... this is why... http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/anarchoandy/harmonism.html)

[rhinoceros]
This is going to sound boring, and somehow unworthy of the poetic undertones of this thread, but I have to say it.

Of course, good and evil is a man-made concept -- possibly different for each \"thought system\" -- but even so, it does exist; this concept defines what should be done and what should not. It provides some rules of conduct, and when someone diverges it causes disaproval and guilt.

There are drawbacks, such as resistance to change and intolerance to diversity. However, change eventually happens -- even if some pioneers suffer -- and the result is a revised concept of good and evil. Are there any benefits? I think there are. For example, if you put some effort into creating something, you would not want someone to come over and grab it just because he thinks it is a good idea. This would ruin creativity. What would you do then? Would you try to impose fear of punishment onto the would-be thiefs, by supporting a police state or by joining a gang? Would you try to educate everyone about the consequences of their actions? Or would you invent the concept of good and evil once more?

Maybe we would not need a concept of good and evil if all the people could fully realize the consequences of their actions, but this seems to be an utopia, at least for the next millenium, because rationality is much more than common sense or logical thinking.

[Athe\'Nonrex]
the programming of the masses isn\'t really that hard

[rhinoceros]
I am about 40 percent Marxist, so I believe in historical necessities. The masses are impossible to be programmed if they don\'t need to.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=24851>