virus: The Joys of Faith: Hinduism

From: Hermit (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 17:32:25 MDT

[url=http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=11541;start=60]\"They Burn Horses Don\'t They\"[/url]

CALCUTTA — A fundamentalist Hindu group has revived a ritual not performed in India for 500 years by sacrificing 10 horses, horrifying animal rights activists and at least one federal minister.

The group slaughtered 10 stallions in the village of Juna Padia, about 270 miles southwest of Calcutta, on March 29 as 10,000 supporters chanted in praise of the god Rama.

About 150 priests performed the ritual, which is believed to have cost $123,000.

\"Some anti-Hindu elements tried their best to stop this holy ritual. But we have succeeded because the god was on our side,\" said Maharshi Girisurya Swami, a leader of Vishwa Hindu Parishad, or World Hindu Council, who organized the ceremony.

\"Don\'t be ignorant and blame poverty, illiteracy, drought and other natural calamities for the backwardness of the state,\" he said. \"To be happy and prosperous you need to be blessed by gods. We have appeased gods by our ritual and soon we will see peace and prosperity.\"

\"To bring happiness throughout the country we need to organize many such rituals in different corners of the country,\" he said.

----
This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=>