Re: virus: Infection! (depending on your bias)

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 20:21:35 MDT

[Mermaid 0] this \'chain email\'/spam is going around. it may have different
introductions. for eg. one of them
<snip>

[ben 0] So which do you think is more factual, this piece or the very
similar (but opposing) one you posted previously, viewable at
<snip>

[rhinoceros 0] Ben, do you think we should read such ever-mutating anonymous
spam seriously and check the facts to form an objective opinion about its
content? And do you think we should remain unbiased in such matters,
whatever that means?

[ben 1] I think it is near impossible to remain unbiased, although I do
think that that is a desirable goal, and one that should be achieved to the
greatest extent possible on an individual basis. I have my own biases, which
I try to sublimate both internally and externally as part of the process of
attaining an factual perspective.

I think that facts on the matter are in remarkably short supply - I have no
trust on this issue for information obtained from or tainted by any
representative of either side. This situation is awkward - if one is not
there, one doesn't know what's happening and should not be trusted. If one
is there, oen is involved and therefore biased and untrustworthy.

I don't have the answer to the question "where can I obtain legitimate
information to the events in the Middle East" right now - a fact I find most
troubling.

-ben