RE: virus: Eugene Leitl disses Hermitish markup

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 12:50:37 MDT

[ashton]
Humm, I\'d swap bizarrely wrong design with the more delightful
\'wrong-headed\'.

\'a simplified mail-markup\'? It\'s certainly not simpler for the writers!
Unless, of course, someone\'s scripted their mail agent blue in the face ...

However, I guess that it keeps the cult factor high though sheer ugliness.

[rhinoceros]
Since the markup is optional, the forces of evolution will decide. However,
many people here have already adopted this markup or something similar.

Talking about ugliness, I have no problem with the markup, but I have a
problem with the web colors. The colors of the Extropy BBS make reading much
easier for me.

[Kalkor]
I know it's all been said before, but I'll state my opinion on the matter
anyhow, without making lame smartass comments to a receeding back (no I'm
not implying anyone else did that, but *I* did ;-}

The posts in this forum are generally quite lengthy. I reply rarely as you
all know, and when I do I'm usually responding to a specific line or
paragraph rather than the entire post or thread. I prefer to snip everything
but what I'm talking about, for the purpose of precision: you know exactly
what I'm responding to, if not what I'm saying (yes my thoughts wander and
that's how they end up in email).

During the snipping, it only seems natural for me to cite what I leave in
the message using some format. I chose to use Hermitish markup, quite badly
but well enough to get the point across. There are three main reasons I use
this method:
1) It has been adopted by most of those posting in here, so when I use it
the reader is USED TO seeing it and has less difficulty with the content of
the message.
2) It is simple and elegant. With it I can do whatever I want to do, which
is usually just cite a quote or two.
3) When I use this method, my posts to the list end up on the BBS appearing
exactly how I want them to!

So, until something better is suggested, I'll just keep using it. If anyone
has any suggestions to make, I will listen open-mindedly to them until they
announce to me with the tone of their entrance into the list that their
opinion stinks more than mine ;-}

Kalkor