Re: virus: Important for those who have or know people who have HPV or use the pill

From: Eva-Lise Carlstrom (evalise@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 15:56:05 MDT

Worked this time. Thanks for the info. I wonder how
this increased risk from contraceptive pills compares
to increased risk from use of the cervical cap (much
more common in Europe than in the US, but available in
some clinics). Cervical caps, for those unfamiliar
with them, are kind of like diaphragms, but much
smaller and more rigid--they fit tightly over the
cervix and are used with a contraceptive jelly and
left in place for several hours. I am told the long
contact with the cervix contraindicates them for women
who tend toward unusual cervical cell growth, as it
might exacerbate it and move it toward cancer. It's a
nice method, though, since it doesn't require daily
habits and systemic chemical dosing. HPV presumably
would make risks worse with either the pill or the
cap.

--Eva