Re: Re:virus: Egyptian history contradicts the Bible

From: Arcadia (arcadia@lynchburg.net)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 07:41:08 MDT

> [Adam 0]
>
> If I may interject, I'm not aware of the evidence that school children
were
> taught the Aeneid as literal history. In fact there are reasons I
> strenuously doubt this is the case.

Clearly you know more than me. My Latin was a long time ago. When we read
the Aeneid (and I did not to mean to cause it to be confused with Aesop's
Fables,) my Latin teacher said that the Aeneid had been taught as history to
school children, but I got the sense he meant children under ten. For
purposes of making my argument, defending the history books of the Bible, I
allowed that ambiguity to work in my favor, and you called me on it, in
classic style. Well done!
On the other hand, I think it would be a mistake to come away with the
impression that all smart people in Ancient Rome were skeptical in exactly
the same way that we expect smart people to be today.

Matt