Re: virus: Fw: JoM-EMIT Paper: Cultural Transmission and the Capacity to Approve or Disapprove of Offspring's Behaviour

From: Arcadia (arcadia@lynchburg.net)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 09:13:47 MDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "David McFadzean" <david@lucifer.com>
To: <virus@lucifer.com>
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 1:59 PM
Subject: virus: Fw: JoM-EMIT Paper: Cultural Transmission and the Capacity
to Approve or Disapprove of Offspring's Behaviour

In a round-about way, this suggests that guilt structures are adaptive.
(I'm assuming that the archetype of parental disapproval is the root source
for most guilt situations, which I would characterize as multi-person,
on-going dramas of guilt and disapproval masking extremely complex exchanges
of energy.)
Hmph.
Not what I wanted to hear... still, does not preclude possibility that we
have reached a point in evolution where the liberation of desire is the way
forward, even if it may not have been so among proto-social mammals.

Matt