Re: virus: is this a workable idea?

From: Michelle (michelle@barrymenasherealtors.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 14:26:19 MDT

Well, no one here seemed to like the idea! These are the most relevant bits
of argument I could see:

[Archibald Scatflinger] i dont know how much any of you know about the
rather simple laws of supply
and demand but they work something like this: as supply decreases while
demand increases price goes up regardless of what the consumer does or says.
as long as people keep using gasoline from any company the price is going to
continue to go up.

[Hermit] PS re the original proposal - ignoring the fact that it does not
provide the data to evaluate the truth of its claims, consider the fact that
the people you know are also the people that know you - and the fact that
email spam is already out of control before advocating a pyramid scheme
which would, if successful, do quite amazing things to email spam levels.

The rest was about alternative power sources. But your assessment that the
boycotting would stop as soon as any price drop happened seems reasonable,
given human nature.

PS - I think the supply & demand statement was a bit too simplistic, given
the fact that corporations are being found to have on occasion manipulated
prices and hidden reserves... (I'm figuring if Enron can "move" reserves to
Canada to keep our figures here "in shortage"
(http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/C/20020509/wxbc
bc?hub=homeBN&tf=tgam%252Frealtime%252Ffullstory.html&cf=tgam/realtime/confi
g-neutral&vg=BigAdVariableGenerator&slug=wxbcbc&date=20020509&archive=RTGAM&
site=Front&ad_page_name=breakingnews, then why couldn't an oil/gasoline
company do the same?