RE: virus: They can put words in our mouths

From: John Jurgens (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 11:22:32 MDT

[Blunderov]
Recently Zimbabwe held an "election" -in fact a cynical exercise in
perfunctory shop-window decoration - during which every possible tactic
of intimidation was visited upon the opposition.

Amongst these tactics was the charge of treason brought against Mugabe's
opponent, Morgan Tsangurai (my spelling may be out here). The basis for
these charges was a video ostensibly secretly recorded when Morgan T.
tried to suborn a public relations firm (!) to assassinate Mugabe.

The footage itself was a single cam B/W video shot from an angle that
seemed to be high in the room and in the corner. The shot was too wide
to be able to definitely assess the identity of the "traitor". To my
eye, the alleged "Morgan T." was thinner than the one I am accustomed to
seeing on the news, and furthermore appeared to have so much TV
"make-up" on that it verged on the old "pancake" style of yore. The
"traitor" seemed also to have a more copious supply of hair than I have
ever seen Morgan T sport. Also, even at that distance, the "lip-sync"
seemed dubious.

More generally speaking, the camera [em]always[/em] lies. That's what
they're for.

Fond regards