virus: metaphor

From: Eva-Lise Carlstrom (evalise@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 12:10:11 MDT

bricoleur wrote a good post about metaphor as the
foundation for language and thought. Here are some
book references for people who were intrigued by this
idea and wanted to know more:

Metaphors We Live By, by George Lakoff & Mark Johnson
More Than Cool Reason, by George Lakoff & Mark Turner
How Does a Poem Mean? by John Ciardi
Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things, by George Lakoff

All of these are wonderful and illuminating books.
The first two are fairly short and get to the heart of
the nature of metaphor the fastest. The other two are
excellent if you want more.

Several years ago on this list I also posted my notes
from a lecture of Stephen Pinker's on how thought is
rooted in bodily experience, and these posts should be
findable in the archives.

--Eva