virus: Re:History has not yet begun

From: kharin (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 08:48:37 MDT

Do I need a source for that?

Given that all you have done on this thread to date is to assert a theory for which you have provided no evidence and no references*, then yes, I'd say you'd need to cite some sort of source.

Doesn't every scientific attempt try to find a pattern or another in reality.

Without evidence of experimentation, controls or peer review I'm not sure that we can actually refer to what you're proposing as scientific per se. However, that's not the question. The question is whether trying to deduce patterns of human behaviour based on apparently the same principles as brownian motion is either philosophically or scientifically valid to start with. As Jerry Fodor observed about Edmund Wilson:

"It is, after all, entirely possible to doubt that 'art, ethics and religion' are primarily in the business of explaining things: not, anyhow, in anything like the way that geology and biology and physics seek to do. In which case, it's hard to see how the putative unity of scientific explanations could be a model for consilience between science and 'the humanities'."

Probably wrong keywords.

Given that the keywords were directly pasted from your post I'll leave you to make up your own mind on that point.

I would say that my point of view was some revised form of historical materialism. I just removed some parts about ultimate destinations and final solutions and replaced some of the specifics.

I was rather under the impression that teleological principles were essentially intrinsic to historical materialism, with it being largely determinist in character. What exactly does a non-telelogical form of historical materialism hold as its main tenets?

But one might arrive at similar conclusions through other paths too.

Such as?

*Other than a vague reference to advertising and marketing which appears ignorant of the fact that most of the models used in said fields were formulated in the sixties (i.e. Maslow) and are highly specific to western society. And that most of said models would rather tend to agree with Fukuyama.

----
This message was posted by kharin to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=25497>