virus: Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 23:26:56 -0600

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 23:28:25 MDT

From: "Andy Brice" <andyb1@btclick.com>
To: <virus@lucifer.com>
Subject: Re: Re:virus: A Response To The Last Two Articles
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 23:45:29 +0100

> ...*Late stage because I forsee the creation of such spirothetes within 5
to thirty years, with most of my bets being sooner rather than later.

Hermit,

Given the relatively slow progress of AI and robotics over the last 30 odd
years I would like to know what makes you think that we can produce a
synthetic being superior to ourselves in the next 30 years?

An alternative scenario is that we gradually augment our existing human
hardware and software. Currently we have spectacles, hearing aids,
replacements hips, mobile phones, personal organisers etc. There is little
doubt that this process of increasing our capabilities will continue apace
and may include ways to augment our intelligence. But this process could
take hundreds of years to produce a human an order of magnitude more
advanced than our current capabilities (if ever).

In this scenario we aren't replaced by our own creation, but become our own
creation. This may raise issues about augmented and un-augmented humans
living side by side, but hardly the Demon seed/Terminator/(put your sci fi
favourite here) scenario of humanity being destroyed by its robotic
creation.

Andy Brice

Ps/ I've been away travelling around the world for 9 weeks and then very
busy at work getting a release out, so I haven't tuned to virus in since
before Xmas. There are some photographs from my trip at
http://www.deepyellow.net/rtw.htm if anyone is interested.