Re:virus: A Response To The Last Two Articles

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 20:19:02 MDT

About the Imagination Engines site

Hermit,

Thanks for taking the time to write a response. However, although I am one of those people who prefer to say "TV" rather than "mass media" when it does not make any difference, I did not argue on the grounds that the articles at Imagination Engines are incomprehensible. In fact, I read a lot of them and I tried to argue on their content.

I already knew the basics of neural networks, and I think I understand the novelties proposed by the author -- perturbations on the neural links to produce new variations of known things, and the presence of some kind of an expert system based on human knowledge to sort out the meaningful results.

Also, I think I fully understand the model proposed in the article "The Fragmentation of the Universe and the Devolution of Consciousness", which I "ridiculed". It is just that I could not see any meaningful connection between this model and the real world. I think that the abstract and the excerpts I posted speak for themselves. Except if some terms such as Universe mean something different in evolutionary psychology.

I had already read the Gunn article. In fact, I tried to argue against it. To make my point about creativity and art clearer, I will add that I do not accept the Turing Test about artificial intelligence. First, I am sure that at some time and place, some people would think that I am certainly a machine. Second, the Turing Test only deals with a snapshot -- it does not deal with an intelligence following the social evolution. That said, I will evade the question about whether the background music on the site is creative or not by saying that a lot of human artists write nice muzak.

I know that you usually argue for proven things. So, although I feel that something is not quite right with that site, I will give it another try after a while, when my current impressions have faded a little bit, just in case I missed something.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=25533>