RE: virus: topic

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 22:02:12 MDT

Yes, but what about from the memetic vantage?
Must always passion stem from a foundation of belief?
Does passion for something imply a heavy investiture of memes in that
something?

Both examples you gave, of egalatarianism and sexism or racism, both rely on
belief, that either all are equal, or that one group is superior than
another.
Good and evil are one thing, but memetic dependence is quite different :]
-Calvin

>>> Joe Dees >>>
Passion is, in and of itself, neither good nor evil (as if those were
absolute categories!), yet it may equally serve ends that are generally
agreed-upon as either benevolent or malevolent. There are those who
are passionate about gender and racial egalitarianism, and others who
are equally passionate about sexist or racist beliefs. However, I do
believe that, just as consciousness must necessarily be relational
(consciousness is by necessity consciousness OF), that passion must
also refer to some position or stand (passion is by necessity passionate
ABOUT something); I do not think that referentless passion is any more
possible than contentless consciousness.
<<< Joe Dees <<<