Re:virus: Word Recognition (cross-posted from the Memetics List)

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 12:59:23 MDT

> " ... randomising letters in the middle of words [has] little or no
> effect on the ability of skilled readers to understand the text. This
> is easy to denmtrasote. In a pubiltacion of New Scnieitst you could
> ramdinose all the letetrs, keipeng the first two and last two the
> same, and reibadailty would hadrly be aftcfeed. My ansaylis did not
> come to much beucase the thoery at the time was for shape and senqeuce
> retigcionon. Saberi's work sugsegts we may have some pofrweul palrlael
> prsooscers at work. The resaon for this is suerly that idnetiyfing
> coentnt by paarllel prseocsing speeds up regnicoiton.
>
> We only need the first and last two letetrs to spot chganes in
> meniang."

[rhinoceros]
An old proofreader once told me that they used to proofread twice. One time for syntax and one for spelling. In the second case, a trick of the trade was to read the lines backward, one word at a time. In this way, they avoided guessing.

----
This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=26708>