virus: Howard Zinn

From: Calvin Ashmore (coa@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 23:20:30 MDT

Howard Zinn came to CMU today and gave a very neat lecture from his book "A
People's History of the United States". Has anyone else here read his work?

Much of what he explained was how politics acts to support its continued
existence. The connection that I think may be interesting is the thought of
government as some kind of self maintaining entity much like a memeplex (or
an actual organism or something), functioning to maintain it's components.

What I'm thinking of is more of a application of the notion of genetics or
memetics, but to social situations and governing classes. What would be the
fundamental unit of such a structure? Would propagation be like imperialism?
Etc. etc. etc...

I haven't thought much about this idea yet, but I figured that since I was
posting I may as well see what the list thinks...

Have fun :]

---
Calvin Ashmore
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~coa
"Don't worry, the worst is yet to come!"