Re:virus: annoyed

From: Zloduska (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 17:35:08 MDT

[Joe Dees]
He was the persistent enabler of Hermit's behavior. I would have
preferred that he stayed and jettisoned the Hemorrhoidally Bloviating
One, but he made his own choice, and I respect it.

I don't see how one equates non-action with enabling. If you keep borrowing a junkie friend money for drugs, or you continue buying drinks for an alcoholic friend and invite them to a bar, then you are an "enabler". If you stuff your kid full of chocolate cake, pop rocks, and gummy bears, give them a loaded pistol and send them off to Chuck E Cheese for their sixth birthday, then you are an enabler of clown homicide. David is the owner/creator of the list, and as he pointed out, he is no more responsible for Hermit than he is for me, or you.

In fact, one could argue that David is at fault for you flooding the list with your angry rants, and is a "persistent enabler" of your behavior because he didn't silence you at some point. Myself, I prefer a leader who is more apt to let alone, fold his arms behind his back and whistle in times of trouble, to one that stilfles unpopular voices and crushes freedom in his fist as soon as he faces any amount of opposition. This entire group is an experimental project. David is not under contract to serve us, nor is he an elected representative of anyone here. He's trying to run an email list and website while still being fair and relatively cool-- not control an entire nation. Please.

[Zlo]Sure, I have indulged in many casual flame-wars, but any time I had a major problem and/or disagreement with a list regular, such as Hermit, I settle it via email, IRC, or the phone-- OFF THE LIST.

[Joe Dees]That is not where he engaged me.

Yeah, and the adult, polite way to deal with that would be to resolve it off the list, so that no one else has to suffer a barrage of flames.

[Joe Dees]Your mother, I'll bet, is most likely not in the same circumstances as mine - and if she by chance is, Hermit did not use freely given knowledge of those circumstances to prove himself to be an unredemable anus with you, as he did with me.

That's totally irrelevant, Joe. Sure it's relevant to your entire tirade and crusade for "justice", but really, why are you taking it so personally? Why reacting so strongly when you don't need to? It makes no difference whether he insults your mother, father, siblings, or as the Croatians say, fucks your grandmother's tits through her coffin, because they are not involved-- it was a personal jibe aimed solely at you. We all acknowledge that fact-- yeah, it was mean and maybe even "cruel". And? You have reciprocated-- risen above and beyond in vitriolic verbage to counter-attack Hermit, and then some.

The Back-and-Forth insult contest, as others pointed out, is no different from two grade-school kids duking it out on the playground. It's juvenile and only impedes any kind of progress. By taking such great offense and making it a personal battle, you are only making yourself seem petty and hypocritical instead of ignoring Hermit. In short, it doesn't matter if my mother is a head of cabbage on the body of an animated robot and someone calls her a homely scag, because that would be no different from the numerous, ubiquitous, scathing ad-hominem digs you have made at Hermit over the last few months. You are the ONLY person here who perceives such a difference. Sometimes the majority really is right. Rarely, but sometimes.

[Zlo]I agree that Hermit was out of line and his remarks about your mother were uncalled for. Well, so fucking what, Hermit is not going to change at all.

[Joe Dees]That is the most damning staement concernig Hermit that could possibly be made. Such a being would perpetually fail the Turing test.

On the contary, it doesn't get any more human than that. Humans can be dickheads, didn't you know that? Doesn't mean they are always and only pure evil. Everyone is a mixture of both, to varying degrees.

[Zlo]Yes, you are suffering, as is your mother, but your
> hopeless quest for "justice" just isn't going to happen. As many have said a trillion times, get over it, man, and move on. You are only exacerbating the entire situation instead of ignoring his inappropriate comments. After all, are you able to cast the first stone? You've insulted him up and down more than anyone else here.

[Joe Dees]Why should I break, when that insulting slandersucker is unwilling to bend? Fuck him and the megalomanic self-delusion he rides everywhere on!

I didn't ask you to break. I asked you to evolve. Rise above, even. No offense, but you've both already lost the contest. No straw for you!

Alas, I feel like my breath is completely wasted. So far many others have tried to reason with you and make the same points, but you have apparently ignored or missed them. Treading over the same territory with you that everyone else has dug in the dirt would be futile. Guess I'll join Walter up on the fence. Got any candy?

----
This message was posted by Zloduska to the Virus 2002 board on Church of Virus BBS.
<http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=51;action=display;threadid=26707>