virus: The law and what might have been

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 10:42:48 MDT

    The law and what might have been

    Damn... I had been planning to kill someone, I had my long knife sharpened and ready, but I got caught. Do I have to pay damages to his family now? ;p

    $180 million at $500 a month . . .
    Vickie Chachere, June 28, 2003

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orl-locpayback28062803jun28,0,5719929.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

    TAMPA -- A man who schemed to steal satellite television signals now has something much bigger than a cable bill to pay -- a whopping $180 million restitution order on which he is to make $500 monthly payments.

    A full payback would take 30,000 years.

    <snip>

    U.S. District Judge James Moody ordered the restitution Wednesday, based on a formula of how much Frazier's intended victims, Direct TV and Echostar, would have lost if his scheme had succeeded. The television companies estimate they could have lost $900 million in business.

    <snip>

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28770>