Re:virus: META: aol.com is blocking all mail from lucifer.com

From: Hermit (hidden@lucifer.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 17:12:41 MDT

    It's easy. The dumfucks have decided to validate that the mail "sent from address" is valid by implementing a reverse DNS look-up on connection (and what that will do to their multiply fucked-up DNS system is anybody's guess - mine is that it will not be pretty to watch). You should be able to validate this quite trivially by monitoring the DNS log while initiating a manual connection from a non-existent host. If this analysis is correct, you should see their queries hit the name server.

    The ideal solution is that the system running the MTA should spoof "lucifer.com" and any in-addr.arpa should resolve to the same. You can do this trivially (or I can help) using djbdns' wall (see djbdns @ http://cr.yp.to. The alternative, if you don't have control of your reverse domains would be to set the MTA to send from javien2-3.spots.ab.ca.

    I'll log in on IRC either tonight or tomorrow evening to discuss further if needed.

    Kind Regards

    Hermit

    ----
    This message was posted by Hermit to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28772>