virus: Re:The End of Freedom: Enforced Conformity

From: rhinoceros (rhinoceros@freemail.gr)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 13:03:06 MDT

    Freedom and conformity... Maybe we digress somehow but, since we are talking architecture, here is an interesting place I visited in Vienna a couple of years ago:

    Hundertwasser-House Vienna
    http://www1.kunsthauswien.com/english/hwh.htm

    The Third Skin in the Third District
    http://www1.kunsthauswien.com/english/haut.htm

    "Man is surrounded by three layers, his skin, his clothing and walls, the building.

    Clothing and the walls of buildings have in recent times undergone a development which is no longer in keeping with the individual's natural requirements.

    Windows are the bridge between inside and outside. The third skin is interspersed with windows as the first one is with pores"
    <snip>

    The Uneven Floor
    http://www1.kunsthauswien.com/english/boden.htm

    "The flat floor is an invention of the architects. It fits engines - not human beings. (...)

    If modern man is forced to walk on flat asphalt and concrete floors as they were planned thoughtlessely in designers' offices, estranged from man's age old relationship and contact to earth, a crucial part of man withers and dies. This has catastrophic consequences for the soul, the equilibrium, the well-being and the health of man.

    (...)

    An uneven and animated floor is the recoverery of man's mental equilibrium, of the dignity of man which has been violated in our levelling, unnatural and hostile urban grid system.(...)

    .The uneven floor becomes a symphony, a melody for the feet and brings back natural vibrations to man.

    Architecture should elevate and not subdue man.

    It is good to walk on uneven floors and regain our human balance.

    Hundertwasser
    April,1991"

    ----
    This message was posted by rhinoceros to the Virus 2003 board on Church of Virus BBS.
    <http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=54;action=display;threadid=28775>