RE: virus: asinine remark

From: Jake Sapiens (every1hz@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 12:44:57 MDT

    I personally don't make much effort to referee between people on
    here. Ad hominem is a frequent feature of online CoV. I don't really
    see the point in so much hand wringing when it happens. The world moves
    on. I don't think it is really the rule so much as a frequent exception to
    it. However, since it is attention getting when it happens, it is what you
    remember. Just remember that it isn't the only thing going on here.
    I don't really encourage ad hominem myself, but I do recommend that people try
    some restraint if not some rules about ad hominems. First of all, do not
    make this a prisoner's dilemma. This is not a prisoner's dilemma
    situation. It is rather a tragedy of the commons. If you find
    yourself engaged in tit-for-tat flaming, then you have either lost sight of this
    fact or never appreciated it in the first place. Oh sure, you can blame
    your opponent for throwing the first or last stone, but that won't absolve you
    one whit, except to indicate that you have lost your head. If you must I
    suggest throwing your flame and following it up either by ignoring the response,
    or keeping the next one extremely brief to clarify your animosity (three
    rounds is almost always unreasonable). Going on and on is really the more
    sinful aspect of ad hominem, and there is where group discussion begins
    collapsing. Oh yes, and plus ad hominem is irrational, but y'all already
    know that. I just don't hold unreasonably angelic expectations that it
    won't happen. If you open up the forum to controversial or
    important things, ad hominem is a likely result. I happen to think we can
    collectively withstand this eventuality without allowing it to become
    the rule. The easiest thing of course is to not do it in the first place
    if you can help it, but in the second place when you find that you have
    unleashed the scorcher, don't let it dominate you next posts.
    Also if someone scorches you, please consider silence as an appropriate
    response. Turning the other cheek IS a reasonable move in a tragedy of the
    commons, and often silence can imply a lot more criticism than an
    explicit response.

    Just some thoughts,

    Love,

    -Jake