Re: virus: Re:Emergent reputation system in beta

From: Bill Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 15:52:00 MDT

    I was considering [1] already. I was also considering what happens when
    one is near the beginning of sign up. People that log on later will not
    be noticed by the earlier people - who were there for all the voting -
    selecting. For instance: As I logged on later than most, most have not
    reviewed me. Out of the 26 people on the list, I was the last to sign up
    so even though I have a rating, no more than one or two people have been
    able to select their choices for me in the last 1/2 hour. How can the
    ratings of people that show up later possibly be as viable as those that
    signed up early and have 26 people voting on them? The only way would be
    for those that sign up in the beginning to continuously check for new
    names to rate.

    Being first to sign up means that most likely you are common here and
    catch the mail frequently. Then because you were early you have many
    people rating you, instead of just a few that see your name later and go
    in for the purpose of rating you. I assume that you think this is not an
    issue because you assume that people will continually check in for those
    people they have missed due to signing up later. I'm not confident of
    that myself.

    This would be solved if everyone signed up together, then a closing date
    was announced to start the ratings . This would force everyone to rate
    just about everyone. Later entries would still be an issue, but your
    first large batch would be a good sampling and since people can go in
    and change the ratings later, the late additions will over time catch up.

    --
    Reason - Vision - Empathy
    Tools for a healthy mind