Re: virus: Re:Emergent reputation system in beta

From: David McFadzean (david@lucifer.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 18:02:34 MDT

    > I was considering [1] already. I was also considering what happens when
    > one is near the beginning of sign up. People that log on later will not
    > be noticed by the earlier people - who were there for all the voting -
    > selecting. For instance: As I logged on later than most, most have not
    > reviewed me. Out of the 26 people on the list, I was the last to sign up
    > so even though I have a rating, no more than one or two people have been
    > able to select their choices for me in the last 1/2 hour. How can the
    > ratings of people that show up later possibly be as viable as those that
    > signed up early and have 26 people voting on them? The only way would be
    > for those that sign up in the beginning to continuously check for new
    > names to rate.

    It is true that you can't be voted up until people rate you, but you
    can't be voted down either, it works both ways. It seems most people
    are checking back fairly often, I looked at the size of the db tables
    and there were 531 ratings out of a possible 676, over 78%

    I don't think it will change things but that is an empirical question
    worth investigating. Since we are still in beta, I will reset all the
    ratings once we reach 35 members and we can start over.