RE: virus: Help me Help you

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 20:50:10 MDT

    [David]
    I would like to know exactly what it would take to get the CoV registered
    as a recognized religion by the federal govt of the USA. This may require
    a combination of online and offline research.

    Interested?

    David

    [Kalkor]
    Certainly!
    In my brief web search, I came across several interesting points. The First
    Ammendment of the United States Constitution provides protection for
    religions.

    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
    prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
    or of the press; or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
    petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

    In this respect, there shall be no law respecting an establishment of
    religion. However, as recently as 1985:

    1985, Dettmer v Landon (617 F Supp 592) the District Court of Virginia
    pursuant to rule 52 (a) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure ruled that
    Witchcraft is a legitimate religion and falls within a recognizable
    religious category.
    http://www.celticcrow.com/community/nfedlaw.html

    This appears to be for the purpose of recognizing Wicca as a religion so
    that it may be protected under the First Ammendment of the United States
    Constitution.

    I haven't been able to find the text of this ruling. Anyone?

    There are some interesting legal aspects of religion in the united states:
    Section 7605(c) of the IRS Code prohibits the IRS from examining the books
    and records of any church.
    An ordained minister can legally perform weddings.

    Your goal may be as simple as someone becoming an ordained minister from the
    Universal Life Church (www.ulc.org). This is a free service, and they have a
    very interesting FAQ section which outlines procedures like having the
    nonprofit congregation funds pay for the minister's health insurance. I
    think nonprofit requires 501(c)(3) status. Having a congregation with
    501(c)(3) status basically means that any donations to the congregation are
    non-taxable federally. In addition, they can be used for pretty much
    anything the congregation wants to use them for, records must be kept but
    cannot be investigated by the IRS without a court order. Here's an example
    of one of the FAQ questions:

    73. What types of investments and incomes may churches have?

    It has been the policy of the Federal Government to actually promote
    organized religion by granting it almost total tax immunity. All income that
    accrues to a non-profit church is tax exempt (with the exception of
    unrelated business income). There are about six different kinds of church
    income, five of which are totally tax exempt.

    1) Donation Income - All money and property donated or willed to a church or
    otherwise received from it's church members is tax exempt. A church may
    perform any type of service or engage in any business activity for the
    benefit of its members without paying taxes on the income.

    2) Fund Raising Activity Income - Whenever a church sponsors a fund raising
    activity and charges admission, the income is tax exempt. All income that is
    generated by various church members by donating their services in return for
    contributions to their church is tax exempt.

    3) Passive Church Investment Income - All income earned by a church via its
    own investments in stock, bonds, rental properties, bank accounts, etc. is
    tax exempt. A passive investment is any investment that does not require day
    to day management and supervision by the directors of the church.

    4) Capital Gains Income - Any income or profit realized by a church from the
    sale of church owned assets is tax exempt.

    5) Related Business Income - any income that accrues to a church from a
    business venture that can be justified one the basis that the business is
    related to the mission of the church is tax exempt. Several examples of
    related business income can be found throughout the Catholic Church with
    regard to the radio and television stations that the church owns and
    operates. Churches are also engaged in publishing as well as the life
    insurance business. The Lutheran Church maintains a $3 billion insurance
    fund exclusively for church members.

    6) Unrelated Business Income - Church can own and operate any kind of
    business. If the IRS can prove in court that the income from a particular
    business venture is not related to the overall mission of the church, then
    it can force the church to pay taxes on the inceome. The most famous and
    recent example of this is when the IRS finally forced the Christian Brothers
    Winery to pay income taxes on the revenue they received from the production
    and sale of liquor related products.

    www.startchurch.com offers a kit to start your own church, which is a 4-step
    process:
    1) Incorporate (business license for the state, articles of incorporation)
    2) Get an F.E.I.N. http://www.ccsfo.com/fein/fein.htm
    3) Write constitution and bylaws (appoint board of directors etc)
    4) Get federal nonprofit status 501(c)(3)

    from http://www.thewordsofeternallife.com/stch.html :
    What is a corporation? According to Black’s Law Dictionary it is "an
    artifical person or legal entity created by or under the authority of the
    laws of a state; an association of persons created by statute of a legal
    entity". Now when a church receives a 501(c)3 license; i.e. incorporates
    itself; it diminishes it’s status into a "charitable organization."
    Government-licensed charities are subject to regulation under what is termed
    "public policy." This is because the religious charitable organization is a
    law termed as a "quasi-public corporation." [397 US 664, 25 L Ed 2d 704]
    In September of 1997, the 104th Congress passed a bill that turns over all
    religious institutions of America to the IRS. Clinton signed it in July of
    1997. It is called the Tax Payer Bill of Rights [HR 23337].
    In March of 1999, Clinton signed a bill that gave the UN control over all
    religious institutions of America.

    I haven't had a chance to verify these items, but they would seem to be
    potential problems with establishing a nonprofit church in the USA.

    Any input on this thread would be more than welcome! I have to run off to a
    party with a buncha artists now. School tomorrow, busy busy, then harvesting
    peas with a friend out in the country on Wednesday. So, I wont be writing as
    prolifically as I have today for a while. But I am here! And I'm reading,
    watching, and filtering. And I'll get to your suggestions, Bill, as soon as
    I can. One thing at a time. Thank you all for suggesting tasks. I would
    encourage the rest of you to request tasks and to perhaps take on some of
    those that Bill suggested.

    Until later...

    Kalkor