Re: virus: Assistance in evaluating assertions

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 11:25:51 MDT

    Date sent: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 03:58:46 -0600
    To: virus@lucifer.com
    Subject: virus: Assistance in evaluating assertions
    From: "Hermit" <hidden@lucifer.com>
    Send reply to: virus@lucifer.com

    > Most of what has been said in the last week is, in my opinion, so
    > woolly-minded, logically flawed and addle-pated as not to deserve a
    > response. Certainly this is the case for the personal viturpuration,
    > all of which has been dealt with ad nauseam before. As but one example
    > of what I mean, mentally competent people do not need to fight with
    > idiots and bigots for a platform. So when we defend the right of
    > idiots and bigots to take over our forums, we don't get discussion and
    > "balance" (mythical though that may appear to be in the United States
    > these days), instead we get "one truth", that of the idiots and
    > bigots, because the intelligent don't like to be seen providing
    > legitimacy, even through disagreement, to such podiums and either
    > shut-up or move elsewhere.

    Actually, the real idiot (who likes to call others names like 'racist', 'bigot',
    'insane', in a failed and futile attempt to pre-emptively discredit them)
    was provisionally prevented from dominating the forum with his 'one
    truth' by intelligent people, or at least more fair-minded people,
    furnishing balance.

    > But some of the assertions made may be tested for the cost of a few
    > minutes of time if you know where to look. As testing asserions is
    > generally a good idea, so here are some quick pointers to save your
    > time.
    >
    > Hermit
    >
    > PS I promise to be scrupulously honest when rating Bill Roh and Joe
    > Dees. On their past and current behaviour, I think they should be
    > banned, and will certainly vote that way for so long as this remains
    > the case. So the "concerns", "reservations" and "suggestions of
    > hypocricy" are completely misplaced.

    Meaning that he'll rate every post that issues from those on his enemies
    list as low as possible, regardless of its merit. I expected nothing more
    from the likes of him, nor should anyone else.

    > [hr]
    > Any member's posting record may be evaluated by simply clicking on the
    > member's name wherever it appears as a link. This will take you to
    > that member's profile, and at the bottom of the screen, you will be
    > able to view their previous posts. This facility is enabled on the
    > evaluation page in order to assist you in assessing what kinds of
    > things people write for yourself, rather than being told what to
    > think. Numbers don't, of course, tell the whole story, after all, a
    > post or article written for the CoV, or selected and formatted to make
    > it attractive, takes a little more effort and thought than simply
    > copying text; but you need to decide for yourselves how significant
    > that effort is.
    >
    > But numbers can tell, at least, a partial story.
    >
    > The "Serious Business Forum" is now available only to congregation
    > members, meaning that assertions about it are to an extent unprovable.
    > However, the statistics page
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=;action=stat) will give
    > you a means of estimating what may have happened on that board. Note
    > in particular, the "Top 10 Topics (by Replies)" and "Top 10 Topics (by
    > Views)" which are self-explanatory when you realize that. with the
    > sole example of the "Current News" thread, which you can see now holds
    > a total of 198 posts, and to which I and others (including e.g. some
    > by Bill Roh) posted a total of 184 items in the course of a year (or
    > about half a post a day) before I decided that posting there only
    > provided credibility to a forum with which I no longer wished to be
    > associated, the vast majority of posts made to that board were made by
    > Joe Dees. You might find it interesting to compare the numbe of
    > people reading the "Current News" thread (2103 reads/198 posts or !
    > about 10 reads per post, and it had about 50 a day while I was
    > contributing to it before the board was flooded with those containing
    > material predominantly cut and pasted by Joe Dees. The same comparison
    > works on the main list.

    Is it my fault that I could find far more responsible, credible,
    distinguished and mainstream articles than Hermit could find hare-
    brained, crackpot fringe drivel conducive to his extremist views??

    > Subsequent to closing the Serious Business forum for public access,
    > Joe Dees, apparently in a hairbrained attempt to continue propagate
    > his virulent memeplex, has taken to posting on the "Test Area"
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=9).

    I began posting articles in the 'Test Area" only after Hermit began to do
    so, and I informed David that, unless Hermit's political posts were
    moved to the 'Serious Business" section where I have been repeatedly
    told that such posts belong, I would consider it acceptable to follow
    Hermit's suit - before I began posting there (you can check with him on
    that).

    > When you consider
    > that this has been happening for only a week (since 2003-07-28), you
    > should be able to imagine for yourself why the "Serious Business"
    > board needed to be removed from public view. Joe Dees averaged over 20
    > posts a day over the period it was public, as he has almost equalled
    > to achieve his 3882 posts this year (vs Hermit's 1126). It being day
    > 217 of the year, this averages to 17.89 posts per day by Dees, versus
    > 5.2 for Hermit (and the next high level posters are Jake Sapiens and
    > Rhinoceros at about half of Hermits.
    >
    > And convenient shortcuts to the 50 most recent posts by Hermit and
    > Dees:
    >
    > Hermit:
    > http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=;action=usersrecentposts;
    > userid=3;user=Hermit Joe Dees:
    > http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=;action=usersrecentposts;
    > userid=9;user=joedees@bellsouth.net
    >
    > [hr]
    > On Copyright and Material inclusion
    >
    > Metahuman/Demon, a 17 year old male (and this may be relevent in your
    > assessments) with all of 17 posts to his avatar (many yesterday), made
    > a large number of assertions, one of which caught my eye. "I should
    > mention that many articles are protected under US Copyright Law and
    > readers are legally prohibited from posting the articles in their
    > complete form unless permission is granted by the author." It seems
    > that metahuman, in common with some others, has not heard of the
    > constitutionally protected doctrine of "fair use" which balances
    > "copyright" - the only reason for which being to encourage the
    > widespread access to material. When posters adhere to the rules
    > established when we founded the BBS, the doctrine of fair use
    > undoubtedly applies. The forum being locked, I quote it in full below:
    > [hr]
    > [ Hermit, "Notice to BBS Posters for consideration and comment",
    > 2002-09-19 ]
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=7;action=display&thread
    > id=26663)
    >
    > Notice to BBS Posters for consideration and comment
    >
    > Attribution and Citation
    >
    > Please ensure that all articles posted to the CoV Bulletin Board
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs) are appropriately attributed and that a
    > source URL (or other suitable attribution) is provided. This facility
    > is to enable CoV members to study and comment on material, to create a
    > means for non-members to evaluate us, and to ensure the continuous
    > availability of references on the all too ephemeral web. Not as a
    > podium for plagiarism. So articles not meeting this minimum standard
    > will be removed.
    >
    > Cutting and pasting the following will provide an appropriate
> [...]
    I have copied and printed out this section, and will scrupulously adhere
    to it.

> [...]
    > availability of references on the all too ephemeral web. Not as a
    > podium for plagiarism. So articles not meeting this minimum standard
    > will be removed.
    >
    > Cutting and pasting the following will provide an appropriate
    > template. <cut below here> TITLE
    >
    > SUBTITLE
    >
    > Source: URLDESCRIPTION (http://URL)
    > Authors: AUTHORS
    > Dated: YYYY-MM-DD
    >
    > ARTICLE
    > <cut above here>
    >
    > Further information on quotation and citation is available on the FAQ
    > board in FAQ: Hermitish mail mark-up and citation V2.1.
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=31;action=display;thread
    > id=11526)/bbs/index.php?board=31;action=display;threadid=11526]FAQ:
    > Hermitish mail mark-up and citation V2.1.
    >
    > Moderation
    >
    > Moderation decisions are made solely at the discretion of the
    > moderators who will use as light a hand as possible, while attempting
    > to maintain the usability of the forums and preventing their abuse.
    >
    > Posters are strongly advised to examine any content or links for
    > attempted insults to anyone or any material relating to member or
    > non-member private individuals, which may be defamatory, and edit or
    > remove such posts from the boards, as such posts may otherwise be
    > edited, redirected or deleted by the moderator(s) at the discretion of
    > the moderator(s).
    >
    > Related posts should, as far as possible be made to single threads,
    > and the number of threads created in a period kept within reasonable
    > limits. Posts to inappropriate boards will be redirected or deleted
    > for topic spamming.
    >
    > People objecting to the contents of articles, or to the moderation of
    > particular articles, or to the actions of moderators, should write
    > privately to the moderator(s)* concerned. Complaints about moderation
    > or calling for moderation posted to boards other than "Free for All"
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=1) will simply be
    > ignored and probably removed from the boards.
    >
    > If after attempting in good faith to resolve an issue over moderation
    > with the responsible (or rascally irresponsible) moderator(s), you are
    > still unhappy, please contact Lucifer
    > (http://virus.lucifer.com/bbs/index.php?board=;action=imsend;to=admin)
    > , who will discuss it with the moderator(s) involved and make a final
    > decision. Contacting Lucifer without attempting to make a good faith
    > effort to resolve an issue, or taking a complaint public, may result
    > in the complainant being ignored.
    >
    > Please bear in mind that everyone working towards the aims of the CoV
    > is an unpaid volunteer, and that moderators are human too. We have to
    > fit in our CoV activities between earning a living, experiencing life
    > and making our own contributions. You can make our lives much easier
    > (and our task here more rewarding) by adhering to these guidelines.

    In cases of moderator abuse of the BBS, I will take my complaints to
    David, as I and others have had to do with Hermit more than once
    before.