RE: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

From: Kalkor (kalkor@kalkor.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 11:38:07 MDT

    [Kalkor]
    Please treat us like rational humans. ... Give us a bit more
    credit than that, please.

    [Demon]
    It would be irrational to assume such a trait and it would be definitely
    idiotic to freely give credit undeserved.

    [Kalkor2]
    My request mentioned nothing about assumptions. For example, I am treating
    you as I would a rational human being, but I am fairly certain you are
    anything but! <wink>

    [Demon2]
    That is an assumption.

    [Kalkor3]
    You *DO* understand then! Excellent, as my intent with that sentence was to
    point out the difference between *treating* someone as though they were
    rational, and *assuming* they were.

    [Kalkor]
    Furthermore, when you misquote someone, it is basic courtesy to indicate
    that you have <snipped> something. It keeps from turning statements like
    this: "I would sleep with you if and only if you were the last man on earth
    and needed to produce offspring."
    into statements like this: "I would sleep with you ... to produce
    offspring."

    [Demon2]
    Clearly, you enjoy dictating how others should act. It is no surprise you
    venerate Hermit.

    [Kalkor3]
    Pointing out established courtesy guidelines is not dictating action. I
    don't see how the second sentence follows from the first, even if the first
    were provisionally true.

    [Kalkor]
    The tone of your reply contrasts with your approval rating on the bbs. Is
    there a correlation here that needs investigating?

    The haughty tone of your reply contrasts drastically with your low approval
    rating on the bbs. Is there a correlation here that needs investigating?

    The offensively haughty tone of your reply contrasts drastically with your
    pitifully low approval rating on the bbs. Is there a correlation here that
    needs investigating?

    [Demon2]
    You do realize that you just made three similar statements, right?

    [Kalkor3]
    Again, excellent! I'm glad you noticed, because I was demonstrating the use
    of adjectives for you. I was hoping you'd point out the fallacy of the
    assertion, and then notice how the tone modifying adjectives don't really
    change the fallacy, but do change the way the sentences will be percieved by
    emotional individuals.

    ;-}

    Kalkor