RE: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance to all Virians

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 16:49:00 MDT

    From: "Blunderov" <squooker@mweb.co.za>
    To: <virus@lucifer.com>
    Subject: RE: virus: Re:Notice and Proposal of Importance
    to all Virians
    Date sent: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:25:17 +0200
    Send reply to: virus@lucifer.com

    > Many parliaments have the institution of "Speaker" who enforces the
    > rules of parliamentary debate. Members who transgress are expelled
    > from the chamber if they refuse to withdraw any remark, or behave in a
    > manner, that is considered "unparliamentary". (The speaker also has
    > the power to demand an apology.)
    >
    > Could we have a system like this? If a member of the CoV transgressed
    > the agreed rules he/she could be suspended from posting for a certain
    > time.
    >
    > Of course the rules * would have to be very clear. The task of
    > 'Speaker' could be rotated, perhaps randomly. There might have to be
    > an appeal mechanism.
    >
    > Quite possibly this has all been tried before and failed, but just in
    > case it hasn't...
    >
    > Best regards
    > Blunderov

    I sincerely wish that such a system had been in place all the times that
    hermit has gratuitously slandered my mother, whom he has never met,
    but I unfortunately doubt its efficacy with him. He has sworn never to
    apologize for his tasteless and malignant remarks, and refused to
    promise not to slander her again. In fact, when I asked for such a
    promise, he responded by attacking her further. Do you really think that
    he would submit himself to such a system? Do you really think he could
    ever bring himself to apologize for the vile mischaracterizations he has
    already made concerning her, or be compelled to do so by a
    "Speaker"? I sincerely doubt it. As far as hermit is concerned, rules
    seem to be only devices to be created, used, abused and twisted for
    use against other people; they do not apply to him.

    > * Speaking for myself, a rule that would like to see implemented is a
    > reasonable(?)ceiling on "cut and paste" posting. I would expect to see
    > a lot more original thinking and writing from such an intelligent
    > group of people than is sometimes the case. I don't think that there
    > should be any limit placed on citing links in support of an argument.

    A condition by which I am willing to abide if all other do; after all, it was
    hermit, and not me, who began the practice.